Roast Salmon with Lemon and Fennel

0 Conversations

This is a very effective way of cooking whole salmon - dead easy to do, and the results are delicious!

Ingredients

  • One salmon, whole
  • 2 Lemons
  • 1 medium/large bulb of fennel
  • Butter

You will also need plenty of aluminium foil.

Method

  1. If it has not already been done, gut the salmon. You may also like to cut away the fins, using a sharp pair of kitchen scissors.

  2. Thoroughly wash the fish, inside and out. Pat dry with kitchen towel.

  3. Slice the fennel and lemons. You may find this easier if you use a mandolin.

  4. You now need to cut yourself some foil. The parcel will use a double layer of foil, so the length of foil you need will depend on the type of foil, and size of the fish: if using standard aluminium foil, you may need to fold widthwise to double it up, and widthwise again when wrappping the fish. If using 'turkey' foil (which is wider), you may be able to fold it widthways to double it up, and lengthways when wrapping.

  5. Once you have cut and folded your foil, lightly grease an area in the centre, about the same size as your salmon.

  6. Place a few slices of fennel and lemon on the greased area, and the fish on top of this.

  7. Add some of the fennel and lemon to the belly of the salmon, along with generous knobs of butter. Add a layer of fennel and lemon on top of the fish.

  8. Now to wrap up the parcel. Bring in the sides of the foil, and fold the edges over a couple of times. This should give you a hollow tent of foil. Now seal up the ends, by folding the edges over twice.

  9. Cook the salmon in an oven for 15 minutes per 500g, at gas mark 2/150°C/300°F

  10. To check the salmon is properly cooked, open the foil parcel and cut into the thickest part of the fish. The flesh should be completely opaque, or slightly translucent near the bone if you prefer your salmon less well done.

  11. To serve, remove the fennel and lemon from the top of the fish. Carefully peel off the skin from the uppermost side of the fish - it may help to cut along the back with a sharp knife first. Transfer the salmon to a serving dish, with a bed of lambs lettuce. You may like to replace the fennel and lemon. Garnish with lemon wedges.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A310285

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more