Toast

1 Conversation

"Toast is sliced bread which has been browned by exposure to dry heat. This browning reaction is a form of Maillard reaction. Toasting warms the bread, making it more pleasant to eat for some, and makes it crisp such that it holds toppings more securely. Toasting is also a common method of making stale bread palatable. Toast is often served with butter, cheese, marmalade, or any number of other toppings. Toast is a typical breakfast food." -- Wikipedia.org

“Preparation and Use:
Care must be taken while toasting bread to avoid burning toast unless it is desired in that state. Burnt toast is possibly [to carbon based life-forms] carcinogenic, due to elevated levels of benzopyrene.

Toast is commonly eaten with butter or margarine spread over it. Jams and jelly are also commonly used as toppings. In some countries a more popular practice is to spread a yeast extract, such as Marmite or Vegemite on toast. "Beans on toast" is a very popular simple meal in the United Kingdom. Other methods of preparing toast include to sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon on buttered toast, creating cinnamon toast. Toast spread with jam, jelly, apple butter or marmalade is commonly associated with breakfast. It is sometimes used instead of fresh bread for making sandwiches(such as a BLT sandwich).

Toast is a common component of many breakfasts, and is also used in some traditional bland specialty diets for people with gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhoea, or morning sickness during pregnancy, such as the BRAT diet consisting of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.

Bread can also be cubed before being toasted, sometimes after being coated with seasonings. These toasted cubes are called croutons, and are often added to salads, soups, and other dishes." -- Also Wikipedia.org

The Origins of Toast.
Toast has its origins way back in the mists of time when the first piece of bread was burnt accidentally by the earliest bread users. The principle of the act of making toast is, although well understood, commonly debated by the manufacturers of toasters, often to the point of lunacy.
Toast is possibly the second finest foodstuff on Earth and as such has found much love from the usual and new connoisseurs worldwide.

The act of making toast is relatively simple unless using a “Toaster”. A “toaster” is normally a small oblong box filled with tiny clocks and thermometers to test the heat output. Why this is so is unknown as they invariably burn the bread/toast. A normal toaster can be purchased for around £25.00(UK) but the cheapest toasters should be renamed: "The Nutrimatic Bread Warmer/Burner"..

Submitted by Researcher: Boromid

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A30828611

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more