Louis De Bernieres

1 Conversation

De Bernieres' work is sublime to say the least. He manages to mix the grotesquely macabre with the ridiculously hilarious in one swift down stroke of the pen. To cover such topics as torture, rape and murder in a light hearted way, would normally seem inappropriate and offensive, but De Bernieres manages to pull this off, offering us a delightful, emotional rollercoaster ride through his mythical country in South America.
He mixes historical fact from several of the Latin states and combines this with a combination of the colourful variations of the local peoples and their equally varied mythologies and religions, to produce his semi-fantasy world of Chochadebajo de los Gatos, where thousands of tame jaguars roam free playing like over sized kittens; where Aurelio the Indian and brujo changes into an eagle to travel long distances and talks regularly with his dead daughter, and the local priest levitates when preaching.
It is a town oblivious to the western worlds views and the laws of nature and consequently they live their lives oblivious to the fact that what they do is not exactly the norm.

All in all the first three novels by this man from Clapham, 'The War of Don Emanuels Nether Parts', 'Senor Vivo and the Coco Lord', and 'The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman', are amongst the best books, I have ever read.

If only the place existed I'd be off tomorrow to set up house in this city of, love, cats and absurdity.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A307414

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more