The Eastside Suburbs of Seattle, Washington USA

1 Conversation

In the area around Seattle, Washington USA, the word 'Eastside' refers to a group of suburbs1 just across Lake Washington to the east of Seattle. This area is stereotypically known as being dominated by software companies (and one in particular), being financially well off, and being full of expensive cars. Like all stereotypes, this one has some roots in fact, but isn't true across the board. The Eastside community is still distinct in many ways from Seattle - it has its own newspaper, and the individual cities have their own local governments and public school districts.

In part because of the Microsoft community, this area has a reputation for wealth. When looking at census 2000 data, eight out of the ten areas with highest median household incomes (ranging from $74,000 to $180,000, US) in Washington State were in the Eastside, including parts of Kirkland and Bellevue, as well as the cities of Sammamish and Mercer Island. In comparison, the median household income for Washington State as a whole is $46,000(US). While there is considerable wealth in the Eastside, it is by no means evenly distributed; despite public perception, poverty and homelessness are significant issues in this area as well.

The Towns of the Eastside

Different people seem to have varying ideas on how the Eastside is defined - where are the boundaries? Most will agree that the Eastside starts where Seattle ends on the east - at Lake Washington. One of the Eastside communities is actually an island in Lake Washington, Mercer Island. The boundary on the north is slightly less obvious, but the border between King and Snohomish counties is often used. King County contains Seattle as well as the Eastside communities, while Snohomish has Lynnwood, Edmonds, and Everett. To the east, some people will say that the Eastside stretches until King County ends, others that the Eastside ends as soon as the more rural landscape near the Cascade Mountains begins. To the south the boundaries appear fuzzy if you're driving around by car, but look quite clear from a map. While the city of Bellevue is directly east of Seattle, the next town south of Bellevue when you're driving southbound along the highway is actually directly south of Seattle - Renton is at the southern end of Lake Washington.

Geographically, the Eastside suburbs truly do seem to run together, but there are some guidelines to ascertain which of the towns you are in. If you are east of Lake Washington, but...

  • West of the I-405 interstate and...
    • North of the SR-520 highway and...
      • North of SR/522, you are probably in Bothell.
      • South of SR-522, you are probably in Kirkland.
    • South of the SR-520 highway, you are probably in part of Bellevue.
  • East of the I-405 interstate but west of Lake Sammamish and...
    • North of the SR-520 highway and...
      • North of SR-522, you are probably in Woodinville.
      • South of SR-522, you are probably in Redmond.
    • South of the SR-520 highway, you are probably in part of Bellevue.
  • East of Lake Sammamish and...
    • North of I-90, you are probably in Sammamish.
    • South of I-90, you are probably in Issaquah.



And if you're in the middle of Lake Washington on an island with the I-90 interstate running through it, you're in the town of Mercer Island.

Of course, the actual boundaries of the towns don't match up exactly with all of these highways and geographical landmarks, but they come close enough to give the reader an idea.

Bellevue

Bellevue is one of the larger cities on the Eastside and the 5th largest in the state, with over 100,000 residents. Some of the neighborhoods within Bellevue are actually large enough that many people insist that these are towns in of themselves. However, while people can still receive mail addressed to Medina or Factoria, these areas are technically part of the city of Bellevue. Bellevue has the second highest average property values in the state of Washington, due in large part to the residence of Bill Gates and his colleagues in Medina.

Bellevue has a bustling downtown of its own, with a skyline that can be seen from Seattle. While the downtown area is largely dominated by retail stores and condominiums, major offices for software and telecommunications companies are also a significant presence. Large events are often hosted at the convention center.

While there are no major universities in Bellevue, the city is known for its excellent public schools. At the primary and secondary levels, there are also many private schools in Bellevue; most of these are religiously affiliated. The local community college also offers an entry to higher education for some students, while also providing job retraining for those facing unemployment.

Other Eastside Towns

Kirkland is located on the northeast shore of Lake Washington, directly north of Bellevue. Redmond is also located north of Bellevue, and east of Kirkland; the town of Sammamish is east of Bellevue, on the opposite side of Lake Sammamish. Redmond and Kirkland each have populations of about 45-50,000, while the quickly growing Sammamish2 has about 35,000. The children of all three cities attend public schools in the Lake Washington School District. Post secondary educational opportunities are available at Lake Washington Technical College and the evangelical Christian Northwest College.

Redmond's main claim to fame is as the home of Microsoft; although the corporation's offices now spread across much of the Eastside and Seattle itself, the main campus remains in Redmond.

The city of Issaquah is directly south of Sammamish, and has a population of about 15,000. Issaquah, like many American suburbs, has experienced a tremendous amount of growth over the last 20 years along with the subsequent tensions between existing and new developments. Issaquah has its own school district.

The two towns at the northern edge of the Eastside are Bothell and Woodinville. Both towns are far enough north that they straddle the county line, with residents in both King and Snohomish counties. The children of Bothell and Woodinville attend schools in the Northshore School District, along with those from neighboring Kenmore. Higher education opportunities in this area are available through the University of Washington Bothell campus, and Cascadia Community College.

Of all the Eastside communities, the boundaries of Mercer Island are the easiest to pick out - it is, after all, an island in the middle of Lake Washington. The population of Mercer Island is about 22,000.

Towns That Think They're Eastside, But Aren't

Of course, there are always wannabes. Some people consider Renton to be part of the Eastside merely because it lies along I-405, but it is in fact directly south of Lake Washington and Seattle. There are also towns that are so far east that considering them suburbs of Seattle seems a bit of a stretch, such as North Bend and Monroe.

Things to Do on the Eastside

Few people native to the area would think of the Eastside as a place to go for fun. That's not to say that there aren't some fun things to do, though. The Eastside has lots of great outdoor opportunities, and perhaps the best shopping in the Seattle area.

Having Fun Outdoors

There are lots of things to do in the outdoors in the Eastside, which is not surprising in such an active, environmentally conscious community. Great places to go with young children include Kelsey Creek Farm and Mercer Slough Nature Park, both in Bellevue. More geared towards adults is the Bellevue Botanical Garden. And while the Cougar Mountain Zoo in Issaquah isn't quite as large as Seattle's zoo, it's still a great trip for families. The Issaquah area also has several places that are great for hiking or horseback riding with children.

There are also plenty of options for those looking for a little more physical exertion in their day. There are several well-maintained trails for jogging, hiking, and cycling, with the most popular probably being the Burke-Gilman Trail, which begins in Seattle, and hugs the northern shore of Lake Washington and then travels into the Eastside. One of the most popular parks in the Eastside is Marymoor Park, which boasts extensive athletic fields, the area's largest off-lead dog park, nature trails, rock climbing, a velodrome for cycling, and a special area for model planes and rockets. For those looking to enjoy the lakes, the Eastside has several beaches and facilities for water sports. Sailing and kayaking are especially popular, on both Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish.

And for those really wanting to enjoy the Eastside's natural splendours, there is Fraternity Snoqualmie, the largest nudist park in the Northwest.

Indoor Fun

For those rainy days, there are plenty of indoor activities as well - tourist stops and shopping!

Of course, many visitors to the Eastside want to see Microsoft. Some are content with simply driving down 156th St and getting a glimpse of the main entrance to the sprawling campus. In fact, it's not uncommon to see tourists climbing out of their cars and stopping for a photo opportunity in front of the big brick sign. Unfortunately, those looking for a tour of the campus itself are likely to be disappointed, unless they have a friend or family member working there. There is, however, a Microsoft Museum with its own tour and the requisite gift shop.

A popular tourist stop with little girls is the Rosalie Whyel Museum of Doll Art in Bellevue. Children and adults more interested in trains than dolls might enjoy the Issaquah Depot Museum. Most active during the autumn, but open all year round, is the Issaquah Salmon Hatchery. Another popular tourist stop is the Boehms Chocolates Candy Factory in Issaquah.

Woodinville has several breweries and wineries, including Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery and Red Hook Brewery. Both of these facilities offer tours (with samples!), and have live music events as well. The area also has some very well developed community theatres and music ensembles, many of which perform at Bellevue's Meydenbauer Center. And while the Bellevue Art Museum can be a great visit, it's best to check first before planning the trip - funding problems have led to intermittent closures over the years. Art lovers may also enjoy the numerous galleries in downtown Kirkland, most within walking distance of the Kirkland Arts Center.

When people from Seattle head over to the Eastside on the weekends, it's often for the shopping - both Bellevue Square Mall and the outdoor Redmond Town Center have a greater variety and number of stores than the shopping centers in Seattle, especially for the consumers looking for the higher end stores. Less well known, but definitely worth the trip, is Crossroads Mall in Bellevue. Crossroads does not have much in the way of large department stores, but has a great variety of international dining options and a quirky variety of shops, plus live music on many evenings.

Getting Around on the Eastside

As with most suburban areas, the sprawl and the traffic make getting around a little difficult, especially if you are new to the area. The bus service is great for getting from Seattle to the Eastside, but less useful for getting around the Eastside itself. For those driving, the important highways to remember are the two bridges that connect Seattle and the Eastside across Lake Washington, the I-90 interstate to the south and SR-520 to the north. The major north-south highway on the Eastside is I-405, which connects to I-5 on the north and south ends of Lake Washington.

1In the United States, the term 'suburb' refers to cities or towns clustered outside a larger city, each with their own local government.2Sammamish has only been an official city since 1999.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3002707

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more