Off-Lead Dog Parks - Seattle, Washington USA

2 Conversations

Public park areas designed specifically for dogs and their people have become increasingly popular in the United States. Most muncipalities have 'leash laws' specifying that pets must be leashed1 while in public. However, many communities have developed off leash dog parks, which are fenced-in areas in which dogs may romp unleashed. Such parks are especially popular in urban areas, where most residents do not have sufficient yard space to exercise a dog. The area surrounding Seattle, Washington USA has several such parks, with more in the planning stages. Several of the off leash parks in the Seattle area offer access to lakes and other waterways, in addition to the areas for ball chasing, frisbee throwing, and general romping. The local dog advocacy group, Citizens for Off-Leash Areas (COLA) has been instrumental in the formation of these dog parks, and small local groups have formed around many of the individual parks.

All sorts of people and dogs can be seen at these off leash dog parks, including:

  • Professional dog walkers often arrive at the off leash parks with as many as 10-15 dogs in their car. While the trend of 'doggie day care' has become more popular in Seattle over recent years, many slightly less neurotic dog owners instead opt to employ a professional dog walking service to exercise their pet during the workday.

  • Adults of all ages using their dog as a prop in their hunt for a significant other.

  • Families with children and dogs, coming to exercise their whole brood at one go.

  • Families without dogs, coming to watch everyone else's dogs in order to decide which type of dog they want for themselves.

  • People of all ages and sizes, who want a nice walk and don't mind getting a little muddy in the process.

  • People with big dogs, who feel more comfortable exercising their dog in an area where everyone can be presumed to be dog-friendly rather than phobic.

  • People with little tiny dogs, who feel more comfortable exercising their dog in an area where badly behaved or violent dogs are quite rare.

Rules Common to Off Leash Dog Parks

All off leash dog parks have their rules, and there are a handful that seem to be common across those in the Seattle area:

  • No violent or fighting dogs; owners are responsible for any harm caused by their dogs.
  • All dogs must wear identification tags.
  • No dogs in heat.
  • No puppies less than 4 months of age, or other unvaccinated dogs.
  • Everyone must clean up after their dogs; baggies for this are generally provided on site.
  • Hours are generally posted, often either 'dawn to dusk' or '4 AM to 11:30 PM'.

Seattle Parks and Recreation

The Seattle Parks and Recreation department offers nine different off leash dog parks as of this writing, all differing somewhat in size, condition, features, and amenities.

Magnuson Dog Park at Sand Point

What was once a naval base at Sand Point2 has now been converted into a community-focused area that includes not only the dog park but also athletic facilities, low income housing, school and child care facilities, and a community recreation center. The park and public athletic fields are collectively known as Magnuson Park; the off leash dog park is the second largest in Seattle and the only one with access to the beach.

The off leash park at Magnuson covers about nine acres, with winding trails throughout. Most of the trails are made of compact gravel, and the park is far more disabled accessible than most off leash dog parks. This park also offers an area near the entrance for showering dogs off; between the mud of the park and the smell of the lake water, this is an excellent idea. An idea that has been met with somewhat less enthusiasm has been the fence-enclosed area specifically for small or shy dogs. Of course, not all of the amenities are added solely with dogs in mind; porta-potties for human waste disposal have also been recently added. Many of these additions are the result of a local group of dog advocates, who have worked with the city parks department to bring these changes about.

Off Leash Area at Jose Rizal Park

Jose Rizal Park is in the Beacon Hill area of Seattle, which is south of downtown. The off leash area at this park is the largest in Seattle, at almost ten acres. As with the off leash area at Magnuson Park, there is a local volunteer group that advocates for the park with the city and organizes work parties to maintain the area. The overgrowth in this area can be intimidating to some smaller dogs, although some open space is also available.

Other Off Leash Areas in Seattle Parks

The other off leash parks in the city of Seattle are considerably smaller, and often less well maintained. These include:

  • Northacres Park, which is at the far northern end of Seattle; this park is too small and wooded to be suitable for ball or frisbee throwing. This park also has a very active volunteer group.

  • Golden Gardens Park, in the Ballard area, which is in northwestern Seattle. The off leash area here has been surfaced in wood chips. This park is often less busy than some of the other, larger parks.

  • Woodland Park is near the Greenlake, Fremont, Phinney Ridge and Walingford neighborhoods of Seattle. While it is near Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, it is approached from a different direction as a highway bisects the park, which sometimes confuses new visitors. The off leash area is situated on a large hill, and is not very disabled accessible. Visitors report that while this is a fun, but small, park during the summer, it is not the best place to visit during the winter months.

  • Regrade Park is the site of the newest and smallest off leash area in Seattle. Less than a third of an acre, its main appeal is in its downtown location, in the Belltown district.

  • Blue Dog Pond is the only off leash park in Seattle that is not part of a larger park; instead, it is part of a rain drainage area, which means it is even muddier than the other parks. It is located east of downtown, and sports some interesting metal sculptures, including the blue dog for which the park is named.

  • Genesee Park is also east of downtown Seattle, and further south than Blue Dog Pond. It is about three acres in size, most of which is covered in gravel. The lack of shade has been reported as a problem for some visitors during the summer months.

  • Westcrest Park is on the southern side of West Seattle, and is more than four acres in size with a great open field for ball chasing.

Off Leash Parks in the Seattle Suburbs

There are several off leash areas in the towns surrounding Seattle, with the largest being the 40 acre off leash area at Marymoor Park. Located in Redmond, which is east of Seattle and across Lake Washington Marymoor Park is owned by the King County Park System. Just as the COLA groups maintain off leash dog areas in Seattle proper, the Save Our Dog Areas (SODA) group does at Marymoor Park. The off leash area at Marymoor has winding trails, areas for ball and frisbee throwing, and several swimming areas. The off leash area is largely disabled accessible.

Also east of Seattle is Mercer Island, which has a small off leash area, which is not completely fenced in, although there is beach access. North of Seattle, off leash areas can be found in Everett, Edmonds, and Snohomish; the Edmonds Marina off leash area includes a long strip of beach and is near the Kingston ferry. Whidbey and Camano Islands, popular vacation spots in the Puget Sound northwest of Seattle, also have off leash dog areas of their own. South of Seattle, a dog park has been developed in SeaTac at Grandview Park.

1Dog leashes might be otherwise known as leads to those in some parts of the world.2The Sand Point area of Seattle is in the northeastern part of the city, directly on Lake Washington.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2971613

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more