Writing an American University Application Essay

0 Conversations

In the United States, the present state of university admissions is a highly competitive one, fraught with 17- and 18-year-olds trying to outdo each other in excelling at standardised exams, achieving excellent grades in rigorous courses, compiling stellar resumés, seeking glowing letters of recommendation. These patterns are particularly evident in private schools or affluent public schools1, where admission to a 'name-brand' university like Yale or Stanford is seen as the first step to a high-paying career.

As might be expected, all this has led to a large amount of inflation in what is expected of top students applying to university. But when every applicant to a given university has perfect exam scores, straight As, and a long list of extracurricular activities and community service, other methods are needed to allow students to stand out to admissions committees. To this end, it has become fairly standard for applicants to be required to write essays as part of their application. In these essays, they are able to show off how they think, how they might act in real-life situations, and how they will be able to relate to their peers and professors at university. A personal narrative (as these essays invariably are) can show a great deal about a person that a resumé cannot.

This Entry will discuss what sorts of essays are assigned by universities, in addition to ways to approach them that will best demonstrate one's writing ability and personality.

What To Expect

First off, not all university applications require an essay. This is the case for some state university systems, which receive a measure of public funding and are mostly interested in providing university opportunities for local residents.

1In America, 'public' schools are those funded by the state, not elite prep schools.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A29221058

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more