Stapeliads - a Wonder of the World (WIP)

0 Conversations

This will become a potentially very large entry.

Stapeliads are also known as 'Carrion Flowers'. The group as a whole is actually extremely diverse, not just in the appearance of their flowers, but also in the forms of the rest of the plants - the stems and (if present) leaves.

A 'typical' stapeliad would look like this: a leafless plant with short succulent stems traling over the ground and standing up at the tips. The stems would be four-angled with 'bumps' or triangular 'points' at regular intervals along the angles. The stems would be about half an inch to an inch thick, and about four to six inches high, and greenish-gray with brownish or purplish mottle-specks. In Summer, flowers would come out of the creases between the stem angles or the 'points'. The flowers would be reddish, brownish, yellowish or greenish with interesting markings, either stripes or specks, and between one or two inches in width. This flower would have a faint to strong odour reminiscent of rotting meat, and this would attract flies to it. The flies will find no sustenance there, however, and if they lay any eggs, the maggots that emerge will die from lack of food. The flies will however pick up pollen and if they are fooled a second time, transfer it to another carrion flower.

The above description is for a 'typical' stapeliad, but there being so much variation in the group, there are many that fall outside the above description.

There is such a diversity that I hardly know where to start! I myself still have a heck of a lot to learn, so I'll see where I'm gonna go with this entry ...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2920312

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more