Fencing - (The Version with Swords, not Pickets)

2 Conversations

Fencing as a subject is very broad, so attempting to explain all of it in one webpage would be not just mind-numbingly boring but impossible as well. The content of this page will be divided into two main categories; the history of the game and the sport of fencing.

An Abbreviated History of the Sword and Fencing:
The sword is one of oldest weapons known to man. It evolved from spears, which evolved from clubs. Originally, clubs and spears were used by early man for hunting prey. Eventually these weapons were used in anger against other men and came to be adapted into swords specifically for the purpose of fighting.
The sword has come a long way since the sharpened sticks first used to poke enemies. Probably the earliest recorded swords as we know them (not just spears) can be seen in Egyptian drawings dating from around 1200BC. Roman soldiers carried "short swords" which, as the name suggests, had short flat blades with sharp edges. During the medieval period giant ornate swords with blades over five feet long came into fashion. These were only used by the greatest warriors for the simple reason that only the greatest warriors were strong enough to lift them. Of all the types of sword, these were the ones to be remembered most readily. Many fantasy books are written set in this era, all with the inevitable magical hero and his jewel-encrusted sword, and games like Dungeons & Dragons and Warhammer are still surprisingly popular among the youth of today. A considerable flaw with these swords was the armour that went with them, huge suits of wrought iron, allowing almost no free movement for the wearer.
The event in history that really changed the shape of both fencing and of the sword was the invention of gunpowder. In the seventeenth and eighteenth century armour went out of fashion because it was of little use against muskets. Along with the armour, the need for large swords vanished and light swords called duelling rapiers were carried by the gentry. It is around these swords that modern fencing swords are based. Because the gentry had fairly little need to carry a sword for practical purposes, rapiers were used mainly as fashion accessories. Although occasionally used in self-defence, rapiers were frequently relied upon to settle matters of honour. It is for this reason that fencing today is such a formal sport, in which fencers salute one another before a bout and shake hands afterwards.
Fencing has been a sport in the Olympics since the ancient games were revived in 1896. As a sport, it is still surprisingly popular. Originally only the male gentry were trained as fencers so that they might defend themselves in duels, but now the sport is open to all classes and ages, as well as both genders. After a slow decline in popularity, the sport has recently witnessed a revival, thought to be inspired by such films as Star Wars and The Mask of Zorro.

The Sport and the Art of Fencing:
There are three types of sword used for fencing in the Olympics today. These are the foil, the epee and the sabre. There are, however, many other forms of fencing, such as the Japanese Kendo, which is based around the ancient Samurai sword. Kendo has never had the same popularity in Britain or Europe as fencing with the foil, epee or sabre. The three swords are quite different and a different technique is required for the use of each.
The foil is a very light and flexible sword, weighing around half a kilogram, which can have a total length (including the handle) of anything up to one hundred and ten centimetres. The blade has a roughly rectangular cross-section and is divided into two parts. The forte is the area nearer to the handle, whereas the foible is the rest of the blade and the point. Between the blade and the handle is the guard, a slightly domed circle of metal to protect the fencer’s hand. The guard on a foil is comparatively small, having only a maximum diameter of twelve centimetres. The handle can be of any shape which does not give extra protection to the fencer, tangle with the opponent’s blade or exceed the total sword length. The traditional and most common handle is called the "French Grip". This is just a single bar with a heavy pommel to counterbalance the blade and a martingale, a loop of leather, to add grip. All other grips are known as orthopaedic grips, the most common of which is the pistol grip, which allows the fencer to hold the sword like a gun.
The epee is heavier and less flexible than a foil, weighing anything under seven hundred and seventy grams, but similar in design. The blade is the same length as a foil, but has a triangular cross-section. The rules regarding the size and shape of the handle are the same as those for the foil, but the guard is much larger, covering the fencer’s forearm.
The sabre is a lighter, more flexible version of the military sabre. It has the same weight as the foil, half a kilogram, and has a maximum length of one hundred and five centimetres. The handle is always straight and is actually part of the guard which curves downwards over the hand.
The difference techniques used depend upon the target at which the fencer attacks and the areas the fencer must defend. When using the foil, the fencer can only score valid hits by hitting his opponent’s torso with the point of his sword. Valid hits can be scored using the point of an epee on any part of the opponent’s body, including arms and legs. The sabre is noticeably different from the foil and epee in that points can be scored using the entire blade of the sword on and part of the opponent’s body above the waist.
Obviously, because fencing is a sport involving swords, vast amounts of protective clothing must be worn. Whenever fencing, a fencer must wear a mask, a jacket and a glove. An under plastron (a thick cloth vest to protect fencing arm) and protective breeches are optional. Female fencers also wear chest protectors under their jackets. In competitions, an electric jacket and body wire are used in conjunction with an electric foil to score hits and relay points to the control box. After seeing the kit required to fence, many an athlete has quit to take up swimming.
The aim of the game is different for each weapon, as already mentioned, but the general goal is to successfully attack the opponent without being hit. A point is awarded for each hit scored. The game is played on a piste measuring two metres by fourteen metres. Both fencers start two metres away from the centre line and may only move forwards and backwards. Should a fencer step outside the piste his or her opponents gains a point. The game is split into rounds which are split into bouts, each bout lasting until one fencer scores a hit. During a pool - an organised succession of rounds in which all fencers play one another - the winner of each round is the first person to win five bouts or five points. In a direct elimination competition, each round is played to fifteen points.
Although not a remarkably popular sport, fencing is one which will live on through the ages. Whether through professional competitions or two children fighting with sticks, everyone can sense the primitive enjoyment that comes from such an elegant sport.

For more info, visit:
http://www.britishfencing.com

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A286201

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more