Monolith

2 Conversations

Monoliths were made popular in the book/movie 2001 a space oddysee. Later it inspired a computer gaming company known as Monolith, they made such cool <H> games such as Shogo, N.O.L.F and N.O.L.F. 2, captain claw, Matrix online, Alien vs. Predetor 1&2, micro man, tron 2.0, blood and blood 2, Gruntz, Get midevil, and Sanity. Their early titles were not such a succses, but lately they have been doing really well. The reason I'm writing about this computer company is because I came across a disk with some audio shorts that were really well done, they were done by some of the early founders of Monolith, I have a script for one of the shorts, me and a bunch of freinds plan to make a short movie, we better get started though if we want to have it done by the end of summer. I'm going to post the script but there are some errors. It needs some finale editing, for the video i would like some tips for vid editing please! :)

Script:

Main: The year is 2738. Exactly 718 years after what we commonly refer to as the Monolith Incident. You see, we really don’t know what happened during that critical moment in Earth’s history. We only know that it was our society that rose from the ashes of what appeared to be a vast and powerful civilization that seemed to span the world. My designation is Cottachili 8. I am a certified Genetestrain from the previous substantiation, Cottachili 7, which was certified before me. I, and my fellow brethrend of the Monolith Sect., are dedicated to finding out what the Monolith Incident was, and for that matter, what the Monolith itself is. We have searched for the answer for almost 600 years, and our efforts have yielded us nothing in terms of solutions, but much, in terms of social organization. You see, after the Monolith Incident, mankind was in a state of chaos. Massive amounts of people and knowledge were lost. The world’s greatest minds simply vanished, and those that were knowledgeable in the use and application of high technology, either went completely insane, or became mentally void. Also, and most notably, it was during this time that the sub-space fissure appeared. There was no rational explanation for any of these occurrences, and even if there was, there wasn’t anyone around who could figure it out. Out of this varitable hell, came a group of people with strange and mysterious ways. They said they had scientific knowledge of the ways of old, and spoke of impossible concepts, such as nutonium bomb, and theories of relativity. There were reports of these individuals healing the mentally sick, calming villoffenders, and ceasing blood-crip wars with just the sound of their voice. Perhaps the most well-known account of their existence, was when they approached the great Hitteal-anan on their day of dissapearance. Before vanishing in a blinding black light, they scrawled a coded message in the earth at the foot of the great Hitteal. The meaning of this message, to this day, is only known to the Monolith Sect.. It reads: “Classical physics and quantum mechanics no longer apply”. They left that message, along with a map, and then were gone. Without going into further detail, I will say that the map led to the Monolith Compound, which is now the base of all our operations. And the people that left the map, were the founding members of the group known as....Monolith. This brings us to the here and now. Like I said before, although we haven’t made much progress in our personal quest for knowledge about the Monolith, we have made substantial gains in social organization, and technological development. In fact, it is believed by many that we have far surpassed the technological achievements of the dead civilization we came from. No one is sure how that’s possible, for it is also believed that the prior civilization stood on this earth for a much longer period of time. Anyways, It is currently my shift at the Temporal Displacement Search Center, and I’ve been searching the historical data archives for possible occurrences, or instantiations, of the Monolith.





Comp: There is a 0.0046% probability that the Plymouth Rock was a Monolith.

Main: Oh........we’re never gonna find it. We’re never going to find anything.

Comp: Cottachili

Main: “C”. Call me “C”. Everybody else does. .....what?

Comp: C. You instructed me to notify you if your Lords and Legends program yielded a Monolith probability higher than 1.67.

Main: Jesus. Are we still running that program? I forgot all about it. What did you find?



Comp: There is a 76.52% probability that a Monolith is located within a two-square-kilometer radius of what was once Wales, England at temporal resonation frequency 4167469.83.

Main:[to self] Hmm.... that’s interesting... [aloud] What’s the gragorian conversion?

Comp: 548A.D.

Main: What?! The Middle Ages? Please elaborate.

Comp: There are many stories on file about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, none of which have been substantiated. But, by cross-refrencing several versions of the tale, I have managed to derive some fact.

Main: Make it short.

Comp: All versions of the legend revolve around a sword of mystical power known as Excalibur. It is not the sword which is of interest, but the stone from which it was drawn. I calculate a 76.52% chance that the stone was a Monolith.

Main:Aahh. But you said these stories were all insubstantial.

Comp: They are. I have, however, managed to find the historical fact behind the fiction.

Main: Continue.

Comp: In 548A.D. there was a king known a Boman. who was in posession of a stone that had a sword in it. The king complained of a high-pitched noise that constantly disenomated from the sword. All records indicate that no one else could hear the noise.

Main: Computer, be a little more brief.

Comp: The king wants to get rid of the stone. He can not destroy it. He wants it far away. He holds a tournament. Only two competetors survive: Sir Gladwell of the Shires and Sir Gobul of the Monestarium. Sir Gobul drew the sword.

Main: And?

Comp: All known records stop at that point.

Main: No kidding. Ummmm you got a lock on that temporal frequency?

Comp: Yes.

Main: Good. I’m going. Prepare the temporal chamber.

Comp:Warning. You should not temporaly displace without the notification and authorization of the Monolith Sect.. Furthermore, resonating at that temporal frequency will place you in a reality bound by the laws of classical physics. Only 13% of standard displacement armor would function normally.

Main: Hmmm. That’s an interesting fact to know. ....But I’m going anyway. Haven’t done that before have I? Call me a rebel. Now let’s see........what if we.........what dowe have here? Displacement armor check.......looks alright, looks alright......alriiiggghht....BINGO! I’m ready to go! Run displacement program one please.

Comp: WARNING, You cannot be displace without a harmonolic wristband.

Main: Ooh! Geez! Wouldn’t want to forget that. I wouldn’t be able to communicate with the central computer. Or, maintain my harmonic resonation for very long. Heh....I’d just come right back....wouldn’t feel that good either. Okay. Run it.

Comp: Begining temporal displacement program one. Power allocation in 3.......2.......1...... Fusion Reactors 15, 37, are now clear of external taps. Global access open. Modulating plasma induction flow. Zero-G environment engaged. Beginning Tachion particle collissions. Turning in collissons 24167469.83 Temporal displacement in 5.......4........3.......2........1........

Main: Let’s do it.









Gobul: Haaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!



Gobul: Excalibur, will not be weilded by the likes of you Gladwell!

Gladwell:The sword of power, will be mine! And there’s nothing that you, or any of your self-righteous holy men can do to keep me from it.

King: Wine! I need more wine! It dulls the sound! Get me wine!

King’s Aide: The sound of what, Sir?

King: The sound of that infernal Excalibur! And don’t adress me right now. I’m enjoying these festivities. I am King, you know. Get me more wine! Ohhhhhh.... That had to hurt! God, I love these sporting events! People being maimed left and right, blood everywhere, this is wonderful.

Gladwell: You are tiring, Sir Globul. Do not make me slay you! Yeild! Yeild I say!

Gobul: I will yeild not, to the likes of you, madman. In the name of GOD I will smite thee down, and take Excalibur back, to the shrine of Saint Thomas.

King: What’s this? A storm? I see no clouds. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Main: Christ, that hurts. I’d never think that time travel would be so.......painful.

Wrist Comp: Warning! You have temporally displaced into a potentally dangerous area. Caution is reccomended. Warning!

King: What’s this?! Some sort of armored demon? He’s stoppong all the action! He’s ruining everything! Somebody kill something! Stop him![fading] Kill him! Break him! Maim him!

Gobul: What manner of creature are you? That you cause the earth to shake, and the sky to strike down at us.

Gladwell: Speak fast demon, lest I dispatch thee with my blade.

Main: Woah! Jesus! Just...just put those things down, okay? I don’t want to have to hurt you, or your buddy. I realize that this must be very strange and upsetting to you. But I’m only here to look at the stone which Exclaibur rests in, right over there.

King: [in background] I AM YOUR KING! KILL SOMETHING! KILL SOMETHING!

Gobul: You will go nowhere NEAR the sword of power foul creature!!

King: [in background] I WANT DEATH!

Main: Okay. Alright, alright. Just relax. I guess I’ll just be leaving then.

Gobul: Your back, will not be turned to me demon! Hrrrrrraaaahhhhhh!

Main: Aaagggghhhh! Computer, weapon arm class one: Pulse Magnum

Wrist Comp: Acknowledged.

Main: Look. I don’t want to hurt you. Please don’t force me to.

Gobul: Dear Saint Thomas..... YOU are a DEMON from HELL!! And I know how to vanquish you! [whispering] Excalibur.....

Main: Where’s he going?

Gladwell: Never mind that religious fool. You stand now before Sir Tobias Morgan Gladwell of the shires. And it is I that will best you, demon, and you, will serve me.

Main: Look. I’m warning you....

Gladwell: Prepare to be beaten! [loud to soft] AAAAAAAAAAHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Main/Wrist Comp: [wrist comp go “warning, warning, warning, etc.] I don’t believe this.... I’m gonna have to do it. May God forgive me. What??? This can’t be! (Gun failure)

Wrist Comp: You are resonating at a temporal frequency that places you before the appearance of the Sub-space Fission. Only 13% of standard displacement armor and weapons will function normally.

Main: Oh shit.....

Gladwell: [soft to loud] aaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!! Demon!!! (sword hits C)

Main: I......I gotta get outta here!

King’s Aide: Did you see that?

King’s Aide 2: Great mother of God!

King: Get after him! I want to see some blood! I want to see some killing! I want to see some body parts flying around! Stop standing around when you could be killing! Don’t you know anything? And someone stop that infernal noise!! It BOTHERS me!!

Main: Computer! Analyze all functioning systems and find me some weapons that work! Hurry!

Wrist Comp: Acknowledged. Weapon located. Particle blade has an 89% probability of functioning normally.

Main: Of course...

Gladwell: So, I see there is still some fight in you after all. Come, beast! and be run through by the finest sword in the land. [boastfully] Second only to Excalibur.

Main: Sir Tobias Morgan Gladwell of the Shires, I would like to introduce you, to the 28th century!(Lightsaber like weapon turns on) Any questions?

Gladwell: How can this be? That sword is of the finest steel!! You should have not have been able to damage the blade!

Gobul: Aaahhh. I have a blade you will not damage, foul beast.

Gladwell: Excalibur! You have taken the sword! This is improper! I will not stand for this!

Gobul: Be silent you impetuous fool! We will continue our contest once I dispatch this....ABOMINATION!

Main: Computer, get a reading on Excalibur.

Wrist Comp: Excalibur is composed of an unknown material. The same unknown material was the only element found within a small Monolith that was discovered on the moon near Tycho in 2001 by a group under the supervision of a Dr. Haywood Floyd.

Main: That must mean.........a Monolith created Excalibur!

Globul: DIE, DEMON, AAAAAHHHHH!!! As you can see, my sword is undamaged.

Main: Yeah. Well it doesn’t surprise me.

Globul: You fight vell, beast. But I fight better!

Wrist Comp: Weapon located. Sonic Grenade has a 72% probability of functioning normally.

Main: Great, let’s knock these people out for a few seconds. Computer, detonate device!

Wrist Comp: Warning. Detonation of a sonic device while it is attached to displacement armor may result in damage to various sub-systems.

Main: Don’t argue with me, just do it!! I’m gonna make a run for the Monolith when they’re knocked out.

Wrist Comp: Detonation in 3........................2........................1......................

All But Main And Comp: [painful grunting and yelling]

Main:Yeah. It worked. Okay, 150 yard dash, grab the stone, and get out of here. Let’s go!

Gladwell: What’s this? A part of the demon?

Wrist Comp: Warning. Removal of wristband will result in temporal displacement in 15 seconds.

Gladwell: Hey! Demon! You left something here! Come back and get it! Hey! Hey, you! Demon! Come back! Come back for your strange device! Come back and take it from me! You! You, demon! Hey! Come back here! I will not stand for this!

Main: Ten more yards. What? What, I left something? What? Oh my God! My wristband! Gotta grab the Monolith!

Wrist Comp: Displacement in 3..................2..........................1.....................displacement.







MS 1: Oh, he’s coming back through.

MS 2: Did you get him?

MS 1: No. It looks like his wristband got removed.

MS 3: Oh, geez. That’s gonna hurt!

MS 2: Where was he?

MS 1: Nowhere. The computer says, “It is an unspecified time period”.

MS 4: What you mean, is that he’s collapsed a bloody timeline.

MS 1: Yup.

MS 5: Jesus. He knows he shouldn’t jump without authorization. This pisses me off. Who else knows what could have been in that reality? Maybe the answers to what we’ve been looking for. God D-.



MS 2: He’s here.

Main: [coughing] Fellas.............................................have I got a story for you.......

MS 3: Look. We don’t want to hear it right now. Go and get yourself cleaned up.NOW!

Ms 1: Alright. Alright now computer, contiue where we left off.

Comp: Atlantis was a technologically advanced city that according to legend, predates the existence of man. [fading] there is a 46.7%........................

THE END

Cast:

Main Character- Computer- MS (Monolith Sect)

Wrist Computer- King- MS 1-

King’s Aide- King’s Aide 2- MS 2-

Sir Gladwell- Sir Globul- MS 3-

MS 4- MS 5-

THE END

a few bugs to work out but other wise I think its good, give me comments please, If you want to visit the Monolith website go to
www.lith.com

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2831645

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more