Pascals Triangle

2 Conversations



In 1653, a french mathematician named Blaise Pascal described a triangular arrangement of numbers corresponding to the probabilities involved in flipping coins, or equivalently the number of ways to choose n objects from a group of m indistinguishable objects. The numbers in each row also correspond to the coefficients of (1+x)n



The first few rows of Pascals triangle look like this:

1
1 1
1 2 1
1 3 3 1
1 4 6 4 1
1 5 10 10 5 1



In each row, the two outermost numbers are 1. All others are the sum of the two numbers above (e.g. in row 5, the 6 comes from 3+3).




It turns out that Pascal's triangle holds many interesting numeric patterns. One way of seeing some of these patterns is to pick a number x and color all numbers in the triangle that are evenly divisible by x with one color, and all the other numbers in the triangle with a second color. To see as much of the pattern as possible, you need to be able to see as many rows of the triangle as possible, but coloring a large number of rows like this by hand is very boring and time consuming. A computer can color many rows of the triangle in only a few seconds, so we can use it to look at the results using many different divisors.




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A280306

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more