Student Housing

0 Conversations

For those people who aren't students, either because they are yet to become them or have already been them, housing is not really that much of a concern, unless you're homeless that is. If you're not though chances are you live with your parents, or with your partner, or with your family. There may even be people out there who share flats or houses with their friends. All this is just fine and dandy if you're (a) earning enough to live or (b) sponging off relatives.

However as those who have been through university will recall and those who are yet to attend will soon understand, finding a house at university is a difficult and daunting task, fraught with danger and disappointment (and possibly other things beginning with 'd')...

Housemates

People lucky enough to live in halls of residence or college accomodation for their first year may think, to begin with, that finding housemates for the subsequent years will not be all that difficult. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth!

With the endless personality clashes, power struggles and internal politics that make up hall life, people who seem nice enough one minute may the next be the ones blanking you from their discussions. Is it possible to trust anyone? Who knows? It's important to find a small core of people you feel you can really get along with and who won't annoy you too much or bore you to tears after only having lived with you a week. Remember, you'll be spending a whole year together, so choose wisely.

Houses

You're going to need somewhere to live so it's time to get off that sofa and away from the TV and find yourself a house. The type you're looking for really depends on the sort of person you are, although no-one really likes a place with no roof and the furniture falling to pieces (not even students!). Location is also a factor - do you want to live in a studenty area? How far away is it from the nearest entertainment (i.e. place selling alcohol)? How far is it from your place of study (whether campus or department)?

Some tips: avoid anything with a big red sign saying 'CONDEMNED', check for damp and the safety of gas appliances, and ask the current residents whether there are any problems with the place, and whether the landlord ever does anything about them. Which brings us rather neatly on to the next topic.

Landlords

Or landladies, or house owners - it's one and the same, just about. Remember - you can't be too careful and if your landlord is slightly dodgy you may just regret signing that contract, no matter how nice the house is. Generally speaking (although of course this is not true in every case), the landlord's out for as much cash as he/she can conveniently grab. If you talk to the people who had the house last year and they report landlord problems, think again. Always get a second opinion and always get your contract checked over with the relevant authorities.

Then what...?

Well, this part's up to you. The way your year's going to turn out depends on whether or not you continue to get on with your housemates, whether your house stays up and whether your landlord steals all your money or not. Whatever happens, it's sure to be a lot of fun - in parts, if not all the time. But where would we be without challenges in life?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A277706

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more