Bouzouki Tunings

0 Conversations

There are three main types of bouzouki:

  • Greek Tetrachordo - four pairs of strings tuned to C3C4 - F3F4 - A3A3 - D4D4. This tuning pattern is the same as the first (highest) four strings of a guitar although shifted down a tone, so that standard guitar chords can be used on it.
  • Greek Trichordo - three pairs of strings tuned to D3D4 - A3A3 - D4D4. This is the traditional bouzouki.
  • Irish Bouzouki - four pairs of strings, usually tuned to G2G2 - D3D3 - A3A3 - D4D4.

Andy Irvine, who must be considered one of the fathers of the Irish Bouzouki, has a number of instruments at different pitches, most of them made by Stefan Sobell. He always keeps them tuned to a variation of the GDAD tuning:

  • Mandola - a larger, deeper mandolin, tuned DAEA, which is the same pattern as GDAD but a fifth higher.
  • 'Bassouki' - a larger, deeper bazouki tuned to CGDG, a fifth lower than the standard bazouki.
  • Octave mandola - tuned to GDAD like a bouzouki but with octave strings to give it a different sound

Alternative Tunings for Irish Bouzouki

There are a number of alternative tunings used for the Irish Bouzouki:

  • GDAE - like a mandolin but an octave lower. Because all the strings are a fifth apart, the fingering is more logical, although the long scale makes playing tunes quite tricky. The bouzouki has a scale length about the same as a cello, so cello fingering patterns could be used. Many players just stick on a capo to shorten the strings, making it easier to play tunes, but limiting the instrument - why buy a long scale instrument and then convert it into a short scale one?
  • GDGC - this has been suggested although I haven't seen anybody who uses it. It should allow tunes to be played much more easily on the top three strings while using the bass string as a G drone.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A27733016

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more