The Second Messiah

0 Conversations



Author: Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas


Title: The Second Messiah


Published by: Century Books, 1997


ISBN: 0 7126 7719 4


Main Topics: Freemasonry; Jesus Christ; Egypt; Knights Templar; The Bible; The Dead Sea Scrolls; The Nag Hammadi Library; Sacred Science; The Holy Grail; The Shroud of Turin; Christianity.



It's a sequel without actually following on. It starts off at the crucifixion, when Jesus' true followers were driven underground. The book traces their dispersal, and the wait that they endured before they could re-enter the holy city. Eventually, the Templars did enter the city - were the spiritual descendants of Jesus amongst them?


They introduce the reader to Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Templars. He suffered massively at the hands of the French King, Philip le Bel and his inquisition, before eventually being burned. He cursed his tormentors to join him within a year, which they all did. They introduce the notion of the Shroud of Turin being the sheet in which Molay was wrapped, still alive, after his torture. There's a very graphic section, including diagrams, of how Templars were tortured. Did you know how effective three big nails and a door are? Try nailing someone to a door, arms in an L shape, and then slamming the door!


The last thing that the Church leaders need at the time is an alternative icon. It's bad enough that Molay's death threat has been seen to be carried out, and the Templars were popular amongst the French population. If a relic were to surface that cast a supernatural light on Molay posthumously, the Church would have a problem. So when such a relic - the item that we now know as the Turin Shroud - starts being exhibited just a few years after Molay's death, you can see the Church's predicament. And you have to admit, there are very few mentions in history of anything that could be the Shroud before, ooh, 1311. And the date of Molay's death?


There's a scientific appendix, with photos, of the process they propose created the shroud. They have carbon dating data on their side. I have to admit I'm a historian and not a scientist so I cannot vouch for the validity. Also, we are introduced to the concept of the Rex Deus dynasty.


Other evidence notwithstanding - and I confess I'm not up to date with Shroud research - I still find their hypothesis more plausible than any other I have seen. I never believed it was Jesus' bedclothes, and I don't think it's a clever forgery.


There's more discussion on the Templars, on Christ's true intentions, on where he acquired his beliefs from, and plenty more on Freemasonry. Once again, recommended.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A277148

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more