The Elixir and the Stone

0 Conversations



Author: Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh


Title: The Elixir and the Stone


Published by: Penguin Non-fiction


ISBN: 0 14 024793 9


Main Topics: Hermeticism; The Renaissance; Alchemy; Sacred Science; Christianity.



It's not like the other books by them, I have to start by saying that. I feel like there's stuff in this book that they are trying to get off their chests. Part two is concerned with modern day issues, so I've only read that part once, but that's the part that's a touch long winded and hypothetical. In this part, they cover things like advertising and mind manipulation, and the use of music as a means of influencing and controlling the masses.


The first part of the book is concerned with Alchemy and Hermeticism, and in a genre where any works are few and far between, this for me is THE book. Laurence Gardner writes some good stuff on the subject in one of his books, but this is the best material I've found so far. It explained to me the feelings I was having in my own head about religion that I couldn't explain to anyone else, and then gave them a name. On a personal and a scholarly level, I really like this book, if only for the first part - which does constitute the vast majority of the book anyway.


There’s a discussion on the literary Faust figure, and the people throughout history who may have provided inspiration for this character, could be compared to him. I’m referring to figures such as Agrippa, Paraclesus, Flood, Dee, Newton, Simon Magi, Flamel… men who might have been called heretical or maybe magicians in their own time, but who might be referred to as alchemists now. There’s an investigation as to how The Renaissance might have been fuelled by the upsurge in underground hermetic thinking.


The roots of Hermeticism are well explored and explained. There’s a look at the figure of Hermes Trismegistus and a discussion as to whether he was a real historical figure, or a composite of other people, legends and myths. The works attributed to him, the Corpus Hermeticus, are also discussed in depth.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A277120

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more