Lugnuts

1 Conversation

Lugnuts (or lugs) are a rather vital part of an automobile as they are the bolts, or screws that hold on the wheels, thereby allowing removal in the event of tire failure. The removal of which is performed by a lug wrench, which contrary to popular belief is not only a self-defense item.

After insuring that you have the correct size lug wrench (the wrong size will strip off the head of the lugnut, even if only a little loose, making removal practically impossible. Remember you only need to strip one to make a bad day into a bad week) and that you have removed any plastic or thin metal caps on lugnuts, turn the wrench in a counter-clockwise direction to remove.

The car must be supported by the jack when removing lugs, you may need to have some of the weight of the car on the tire so it does not turn instead of the lug. Turn each lug just enough to get it started, then jack the car the rest of the way up (Always put a block in front of and behind the oppisite corner wheel, emergency brake on and in park or gear.)

If you have trouble remebering which way you turn the lugnuts (or any screw) when looking from the top, remember this phrase (or sing it like a jingle if you're a persistantly cheerful type);

"Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey."



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A274925

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more