The Whisky Road

0 Conversations

This is a journey along a route linking the ports on the west coast of Britain with the western end of Hadrians Wall. The road runs northwest through some of the most mountainous country in Britain. The road runs from Ravenglass (Glannoventa) in the South to Carlisle (Luguvalium) in the North, forming one of the main military supply routes in Roman Britain.

Ravenglass (Glannoventa), Hardknott (Mediobogdum), Ambleside (Galava). The road then goes on to Penrith (Brocavum) then to Wreay (Cummersdale) and to Carlisle, (Luguvalium) where it joins The Stanegate road the end of this part of the journey is the Stanwix fort the nearest to Carlisle on Hadrians wall.

The Stangate Roman road which pre dates the wall by 70 years and ran south of Hadrians Wall, from Stanwix (Vxelondunum) to its eastern end at Halton Chesters where it joined Dere Street at Corbridge as it ran into Halton Chesters. The eastern end of the was served by the Wrekendike that ran to Newcastle upon Tyne (Pons Aelius) and South Shields (Arbeia).

The Start of The Journey

The condition of the towns and sites today1.

1 = No longer visible. Or built over.

2 = Building platforms, mounds and crop marks.

3 = Some ruins are visible above ground.

4 = Visible site with museum support.

5 = A major site and tourist attraction.

Ravenglass

Roman name: Glannoventa
Translation: 'The Shore Market'

Condition: 3

The Roman fort at Ravenglass was a naval base and supply depot. The Classis Britannica had a base at the fort and the first Cohort of the Aelian Fleet. There was a bath house

To start your journey:

  • On Unnamed Roads north-east, continue to Hardknot(Mediobogdum) - 8 miles.

Hardknott

Roman name: Mediobogdum
Translation: ''

Condition: 2

The Roman fort at Hardknott.

Total so far, 8 miles.

  • On Unnamed Roads north-east, continue to Ambleside (Glava) - 10 miles.

Ambleside

Roman name: Glava
Translation: ''

Condition: 2

The Roman fort and settlement.

Total so far, 18 miles.

  • On Unnamed Roads north-east, continue to Brougham (Brocavum) - 20 miles.

Brougham

Roman name: Brocavum
Translation: ''

Condition: 2

The Roman fort and settlement.

Total so far, 38 miles.

  • On Unnamed Roads north-west, continue to Old Penrith (Voreda) - 7 miles.

Old Penrith

Roman name: Voreda
Translation: ''

Condition: 2

The Roman fort and settlement.

Total so far, 45 miles.

  • On Unnamed Roads north-west, continue to Wreay - 7 miles.

Wreay

Roman name: Brocavum
Translation: ''

Condition: 2

The Roman fort and settlement.

Total so far, 52 miles.

  • On Unnamed Roads north-west, continue to Carlisle (Voreda) - 6 miles.

Carlisle

Roman name: Luguvalium
Translation: 'Luguvalos Town'

Condition: 1

Carlisle was built as a fort on the Stanegate road, this was a fort placed to support Stanwix fort which was built at the point where course of the wall moved from the south bank of the River Eden to the northern bank.

There are three crossing points of the wall and Carlisle was well placed as a trading centre. The traffic meant trade would have been good. The settlement of 28327 sq meters and enclosed by a wall. The town prosperous with paved streets, stone housing ,municipal buildings, trade buildings and warehouses. The town was a religous centre with temples to Mars, Mercury and Jupiter

The town was the access point for the western end of Stangate Roman road, passing through Carvioan, Chesterholm and ending at Corbridge.

Total so far, 58 miles.

  • On Stanegate noth, continue to Stanwix, (Vxelodunum) - 6 miles.
  • On Stanegate west, continue to Burgh by Sands, (Aballava) - 6 miles.
  • On Unnamed Roads South west, continue to Old Carlisle,, (Aballava) - 10 miles.

Hadrian's Wall and the service roads

Hadrian's Wall was built by three of the legions that garrisoned Britin

  • Legion XX - The Valeria Victrix
  • Legion II - The Augusta
  • Legion VI - The Victrix

Legion XX The Valeria and II The Augusta were part of the 43 AD, invasion force. The Legion VI The Victrix were sent to Britain in 122 AD, and were posted to York.

It was not simply a wall. has 17 forts, between each fort there were towers and small guard posts called mile castles2.

The wall was set on massive foundations and was on average 5 meters high and 3.5 meters wide. It was built of prepared lime stone blocks with a concrete and rubble core. The front of the wall was protected with a deep ditch and a bank.

Another bank3 and ditch4 called the vallum, was constructed south of the wall to provide protection if the wall was breached, it was a formidable defensive fortification.

Although there was a considerable civilian population in the area it must be remembered the area was an active military zone in a state of constant readiness. This area was served by a network of supply roads, from the west the road from the port of Ravenglass (Glannoventa). From the major junction at Catterick (Cataractonium) supplies transported on Ermine Street could be sent to the western end via Carlisle or no Dere Street via Corbridge and Halton Chesters. Supplies could be transported to the eastern end of the wall via York and Chester le Street on the Wrekendike to South Shields (Arbeia), the fort on the southern bank of the river Tyne. Or to the fort at Newcastle upon Tyne (Pons Aelius) on the northern bank.

Bowness

Roman name: Maia
Translation: 'Large Fort'

Condition: 2

Hadrian's Wall Fort and Settlement.

Total so far 0 miles.

  • Hadrian's Wall to Drumburgh (Concavata) 3 miles.

Drumburgh

Roman name: Concavata
Condition: 2

Hadrian's Wall Fort

Total so far 3 miles.

  • Also known as Coggabata a fort on Hadrian's Wall to Burgh by Sands (Aballava) 4 miles.

Burgh by Sands

Roman name: Aballava
Translation: 'Orchard'

Condition: 2

Hadrian's Wall Fort and Watchtower and Settlement

Total so far 7 miles.

  • Hadrian's Wall to Stanwix (Vxelodunum) 5 miles.

Stanwix

Roman name: Vxelodunum
Translation: 'River Fort'

Condition: 1

Also known as Petriana a fort on Hadrian's Wall built by Legion XX The Valeria Victrix Fort and Settlement. This was the largest fort on the wall, and placed at the point where course of the wall moved from the north bank of the River Eden to the southern bank. It appears that Stanwix was built to defend the northern end of the bridge supported by Carlisle in guarding the southern end5.

As one of the three major crossing points of the wall, the road continued north to Neatherby (Castra Exploratorum) with access to the west coast. This meant settlement was a focus for trade and prosperous, with paved streets, timber-framed and stone housing and some municipal buildings, trade buildings and warehouses.

Total so far 12 miles.

  • Hadrian's Wall to Castlesteads (Banna) 8 miles.
  • On Local Roads North to Neatherby (Castra Exploratorum) 126 miles.

Carlisle

Roman name: Luguvalium
Translation: 'Luguvalos Town'

Condition: 1

Carlisle was built as a fort on the Stanegate road, this was a fort placed to support Stanwix fort which was built at the point where course of the wall moved from the south bank of the River Eden to the northern bank.

There are three crossing points of the wall and Carlisle was well placed as a trading centre. Goods came up from the coast via the port of Ravenglass (Glannoventa). Other roads also entered the town, from York via Catterick connecting with Ermine Street, and the west coast road from Ribchester. The traffic meant trade would have been good, and the town prosperous with paved streets, stone housing ,municipal buildings, trade buildings and warehouses.

The town was the access point for the western end of Stangate Roman road, passing through Carvioan, Chesterholm and ending at Corbridge.

  • On Stanegate North to the wall at Stanwix 1 mile.
  • On Stanegate West to Burgh by Sands (Aballava) 6 miles.
  • On Local Roads South West to Carlisle (Maglna) 11 miles.
  • On Local Roads South East to Wreay 5 miles.

Castlesteads

Roman name: Banna
Translation: 'The Spur'

Condition: 3

Also known as Camboglanna a fort on Hadrian's Wall and Settlement.

Total so far 20 miles.

  • Hadrian's Wall to Birdoswald (Camboglanna) 8 miles.

11. Birdoswald

Roman name: Camboglanna
Translation: 'Winding valley'

Condition: 4

Built in 112 AD, and overlooking the River Irthing Birdoswald started in is a major fort on Hadrian's Wall. The fort could hold up to 1000 soldiers and is typical of the shape has become known as the playing card type. With a gate in each of its walls. It was equipped with the standard military buildings a headquarters building, granaries and barracks, Birdoswald also had a basilica style training hall. The settelement a vicus7 developed around the walls of the fort.

  • On Local Roads North to Bewcastle (Fanum Cocidi) 88 miles.
  • Total so far 28 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Burgh by Chesters (Aescia) 7 miles.

    Carvoian

    Roman name: Magis
    Translation: 'Place of Stone'

    Condition: 2

    Stanegate Fort and Settlement central The Maiden Way Roman road access point.

    • On Stanegate East to Great Chesters (Aescia) 7 miles.
    • On Stanegate West to Nether Denton 4 miles.
    • On the Maiden Way South to Whitley Castle (Epiacum) 10 miles.

    Great Chesters

    Roman name: Aescia
    Translation: ''

    Condition:

    Hadrian's Wall Fort and Settlement, the only fort on the wall with direct access to the Staingate supply road.

    Total so far 35 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Housesteads (Vercovicium) 5 miles.

    Chesterholm

    Roman name: Vindolanda
    Translation: 'White Walls'

    Condition: 4

    Stanegate Fort and Settlement access road to Vercovicium and the wall.

    • On Local Roads North Eeast to Housesteads (Vercovicium) 4 miles.
    • On Stanegate West to Carvoran (Magnis) 8 miles.
    • On Stanegate North East to Chesters (Cilvrnum) 11 miles.

    Housesteads

    Roman name: Vercovicium
    Translation: 'The Hilly Land'

    Condition: 3

    Hadrian's Wall Fort (21181 sq meters) with a gate set in each of the foru walls. and Settlement.

    Total so far 40 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Carrawburgh (Brocoliia) 5 miles.

    Carrawburgh

    Roman name: Brocolitia
    Translation: ''

    Condition: 3

    Hadrian's Wall Fort and Settlement.

    Total so far 45 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Chesters (Cilurnum) 4 miles.

    Chester

    Roman name: Cilurnum
    Translation: 'Cauldron'

    Condition: 2

    Hadrian's Wall cavelry Fort (13796 sq meters) built across the line of the wall. and Settlement.

    Total so far 49 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Halton Chesters (Onnum) 6 miles.

    Helton

    Roman name: Onnum
    Translation: ''

    Condition: 2

    Hadrian's Wall Fort (20903 sq meters with an extention in the south west corner of 37500 sq meters). and Settlement. The Dere Street Roman road access point.

    Total so far 55 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Burgh by Rudchester (Vindobala) 7 miles.

    Corbridge

    Roman name: Corstopitum
    Translation: 'Noisey valley'

    Condition:

    Stanegate Fort and Settlement and the junction of Stangate and Dere Street.

    • On Dere Street North to Halton Chesters (Onnum) 3 miles.
    • On Dere Street South East to Ebchester (Vindomora) 10 miles.
    • On Stanegate: West to Chesters (Cilvernum) 7 miles.
    • On Stanegate: South East to Washing Wells 14 miles.

    Burgh by Rudchester

    Roman name: Vilandoba
    Translation: 'The White Fort'

    Condition:

    Hadrian's Wall Fort(13006 sq meters). and Settlement.

    Total so far 62 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Benwell (Condercum) 7 miles.

    Benwell Hill

    Roman name: Condercum
    Translation: ''

    Condition: 3

    Hadrian's Wall Fort (8361 sq meters). and Settlement.

    Total so far 69 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Newcastle upon Tyne (Pons Aelius) 2 miles.

    Newcastle upon Tyne

    Roman name: Pons Aelius
    Translation: 'Bridge'

    Condition:

    Hadrian's Wall Fort and crossing of the River Tyne. The Wrekendike Roman road access point.

    Total so far 71 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to Wallsend (Segdeunum) 3 miles.

    Wallsend

    Roman name: Segdeunum
    Translation: 'Strong Fort'

    Condition: 3

    Hadrian's Wall Fort (16581 sq meters) built by II Legion The Augusta. and Settlement.

    Total so far 74 miles.

    • Hadrian's Wall to South Shields (Arbeia) 9 miles.

    South Shields

    Roman name: Arbeia
    Translation: 'The Arabs'

    Condition: 4

    Hadrian's Wall Fort (18431 sq meters) and Settlement. The Wrekendike Roman road access point.

    The eastern end of Hadrian's Wall. total on the Wall 83 miles.

    Town Status

    A vicus an informal town development round a militiry instalation.

    A civitates similar to the vicus a small planned laid out as official towns.

    A coloniae similar to the civitates but consitsing of a high population of retired Legionaries, planned and laid out as official towns.

    A municipia formal towns or cities often tribal capitals. Often created from native towns to serve as political centers.

    1Please note this is based on personal visits and a thorough search of the sites on the internet. Please use this as a guide only, and check any site prior to any visit.2For a garrison of 12 men.3The width was 6 metres and 2 meters in height.4The width was 6 metres and 3 meters in depth.5Both Stanwix and Carlisle forts have been built over, and the course of the wall has been lost at this point.6Castra Exploratorum was 12 miles to the north of Hadrian's Wall.7An unplanned settlement and not to be confused with the civitates a planned settlement.8Castra Exploratorum was 8 miles to the north of Hadrian's Wall.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A26775958

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    References

    h2g2 Entries

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more