Plough Roundabout, Hemel Hempstead

2 Conversations

Hemel Hempstead, in Hertfordshire, England, is possibly the dullest place in the entire world. Nothing ever happens here, or ever has as far as I can tell.

However, the town is probably best known for the Plough Roundabout, or the Magic Roundabout as it is 'fondly' known by many of the locals. Any town that is famous for it's main Traffic Roundabout has to be a very dull place indeed you may be thinking to yourself, and you'd be damn right. But as Roundabouts go, this one really is rather amazing.

Designed, I can only believe, by a sadistic deranged five-year old, this roundabout consists of one large roundabout, surrounded by 6 mini-roundabouts. "Eh, how does that work?", you may be thinking. Well, basically each mini-roundabout is treated as a normal roundabout, and the main roundabout is only there to completely distract you from this fact, because you are perfectly entitled to turn right at any of the mini-roundabouts as well as left. This basically means you can quite easily find yourself driving anti-clockwise around the main roundabout.

If you have never been to Hemel Hempstead before, then I advise you remember to bring a change of trousers, because you may well soil one pair when you see this thing looming up on you. I have a friend who, when approaching this roundabout for the very first time, was so distracted trying to work out exactly what was going on and exactly how he could avoid this thing without breaking the law or killing anyone, that he drove straight into the car in front. Safe to say, he has never come back.

This roundabout was obviously designed as a cunning way to keep visitors out, and trust me, if you should actually manage to get into the town you will realise that they were actually trying to do you a favour. Consider yourself warned.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A267220

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more