Ghana

1 Conversation

Ever been to Ghana......?

You should. Friendly people, wonderful beaches, good food and a great atmosphere. Accra is the capital of Ghana, it's a buzy, smelly, vibrant city. Accra is not a city for tourists - it's a living, working city where Ghananians work and party, especially during the week-end. However, as a tourist, you will be made very welcome but you should try to blend in... a few words ...(in Accra)
(phonetic- toy-yah-tain? - how are you
phonetic - ee-oh-joh-bahn - I'm fine
phonetic - oh-yea-wah-dong - thank you)

The best beach in Accra to visit is the Labadi Pleasure Beach. During the slow months it will cost you c500 (about 10p) to enter. There you will find a full range of beach-side bars and life-guards in the surf - this is important, as the currents in this part of West Africa can be lethal - ALWAYS OBEY THE LIFE-GUARDS!!!

If you want to venture out of the capital, take the State Transport Company buses to Cape Coast. Visit the castle here and see for yourself the terrible conditions the slaves were held in - it really is enough to make you cry. When I was there it made me ashamed to be European.

Another place to visit on the road between Cape Coast and Sekondi/Takoradi is Kakum National Park. This is one of the only remaining rain-forests in West Africa. It features a canopy walkway which should only be started by the the brave hearted. You end up walking along rope-bridges well above the tree-line!!!

On the road between Kakum and Cape Coast, you will come across Han's Cottage... this is a resturant with a difference! It is set on a pond with crocodiles waiting to eat the bread which you throw for the fishes - the fishes come for the bread and the crocs. come for the fish!

I must declare an interest here... I am married to a Ghananian and I love Ghana , indeed we have bought a house there.... but I would say to any hitchhickers, if you want a holiday in West Afrisc, let me know!!!!!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A259616

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more