Browsing at Large Kitchen and Bathroom Retailers.

0 Conversations

In certain areas of the United Kingdom, often known as 'retail parks', there are large retail outlets where kitchen and bathroom furniture is sold. Here are just a few points to help you as you browse in such places.

Kitchens
1) Do not be surprised when none of the taps work. This is perfectly normal as they are not connected to the mains.
2) Likewise, the gas and electricity are not connected so do not expect a hissing sound as you attempt to turn on the gas hob burners. Should such a sound occur, contact a member of the shop's staff immediately.
3) None of the drawers will contain cutlery or, more importantly, towels. You are expected to provide your own when/if you buy the kitchen units. The same applies, of course, to gas and electricity supplies.

Bathrooms
1) As note 1 for Kitchens, above. Also, toilets will not flush, not even once (but see notes below).
2) Any towels on display towel rails are for display purposes only and are not suitable for use by hitchhikers.
3) Do not use the toilets on display. Please ask a member of the shop's staff for directions to their in-store customer toilets. Keep a sharp eye out for 'Do Not Use This Toilet' signs which will help you if you are in any doubt.
4) Keep an eye on your children to ensure that they comply with note 3 above. If you must turn your back, ensure that any display toilets within reach are ones which have been securely taped shut by staff. This tape, if seen, is for preventative purposes only and would not be present on any bathroom furniture you may buy.

General
Do not point out any of the above deficiencies to staff. They will look at you as if you are mad.

I would like to point out that the above points on dysfunctional and lacking fittings and equipment are not, surprisingly, the reason why the retailers feel the need to offer their wares in 'HALF PRICE CLEARANCE SALE' offers at certain times of the year, especially after Christmas. The reason, actually, is that nobody has bought their stock so they need to clear it to buy in other stock that nobody will also buy.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A252334

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more