Army Details

0 Conversations

  • Ranks- If they're higher than you, they can tell you what to do. No questions asked.
    • Officer Ranks- Officers lead people. They're the ones that wave the sword and yell charge, or sit in a tent and plan while everyone else goes out and kills themselves. You enter the army as an officer because, no matter how weak you are, there are demons and devils that are weaker than you, and they get the lower ranks. There are a lot of them.
      • General- A general leads a lot of people. There are five types of generals, each one with a number of stars on their badge. You cannot enter as a general unless you are in the Shadow Council, but you can be promoted to have 1-3 stars. The Shadow Council members also get whatever 3-Star position they want, if they want it.
        • General of the Army- The general of the army leads everybody in all the army. Really, the general only plans, but there you go. They has five stars.
        • General- Generals lead armies of around 100,000 troops. They have four stars, and also plan.
        • Lieutenant General- The lieutenant general helps plan, and leads a corps. Corps often move separately, with smaller groups within them moving separately also, so they need a lot of planning. The Lt. Gen has three stars, and a feather in his hat (or a horn, or a spike), because people have to see him on the battlefield. Though it doesn't help, because a lot of demons are very tall.
        • Major General- The major general has two stars, leads a division, and also plans. Actually, all the generals plan.
        • Brigadier General- A brigadeer general has one star and leads-get this- a brigade. Brigadier generals can also lead cavalry or artillery groups. They have one star, and plan, and move separately from each other.
      • Colonel- A Colonel leads a regiment or a strike force of about a thousand soldiers. He is the one that gets orders from the generals then charges from in front of the troops while the generals "plan" behind the lines. The Colonel's badge has two crossed sabers.
      • Lieutenant Colonel- The Lt. Colonel leads a battalion, of usually around 500 soldiers. He is the Colonel's 2nd in command, takiong half the regiment in battle while the Colonel takes the other half. If the Colonel dies he takes over temporarily. His badge shows a saber.
      • Major- Majors doesn't really do anything. They're just around as the Colonel's 3rd in Command, to help plan, and to coordinate regiments in battle. And to "boost morale". A major's badge shows a pair of any type of wings.
      • Captain- In the army, the Captain leads a company of 100 soldiers. These small groups perform little tasks. The Captain trains the company, and eats with them, and whatnot. Captains' badges have a 4-pointed star.
      • Lieutenant- The lieutenant is the captain's 2nd in command. He leads a platoon, while the Captain lead the other platoon. If the Captain dies, the Lt. takes over. If there are 3 small platoons innstead of two, there will be a 2nd Lieutenant to lead the third platoon. the Lt.'s badge has an upside down triangle.
    • NCO/Enlisted Ranks- N.C.O. and Enlisted soldiers are considered "Expendable", as long as the officers survive. Most of the ranks are filled by weak demons, devils, and new recruits. Anything at this level in our armies are not fun. You do not want to join these ranks. Plus they're stupid, and anyone who's smarter than them can become an officer. Sergeants and Corporals are N.C.O.s, Non-Commissioned Officers, and Privates are Enlisted.
      • Sergeant- The sergeant is the mean, loud one, who discplines about 15 soldiers, and leads them in the battlefield. There are more kinds of sergeant; Sergeant First Class, Staff Sergeant, and others. in this army they're all about equal. The Sergeant leads a squad, and has three stripes on his badge.
      • Corporal- Corporals are the people/fiends that take tiny little groups and make them work together. They get no better treatment than privates, but get a 2nd stripe.
      • Private- The private is the puny little wasteable fiend that gets kicked around. They are often horribly equipped and armed with only their natural weapons. They have one stripe, when they have any uniform.
  • Organization- Yes, even demon hordes are organized. Sort of. Every group is part of a larger group, each with a leader. From numbers, one can estimate that there are about 190000 crews in each army, which is a lot.
    • All Armies- This consists of not just an army, but the Army- the section of the military called the Army. This is led by the rather useless General of the Army. The Army consists of 11 armies, from various areas of Hell.
    • Army- Each of those armies has about 100000 soldiers in it, divided into 2 or 3 corps. Each army is led by a General, who, as mentioned above, plans a lot. The armies move separately from each other unless ordered otherwise by by the General of the Army.
    • Corps- The corps are led by a Lieutenant General, moving separately from each other but working together. Each corps will usually fight alone on the battlefield, unless put against a larger force. A corps consist of a 30000-50000 soldiers in it, divided into 3 divisions, which are (supposedly) used strategically on the battlefield. Also there is a often a squadron of cavalry and a battery of artillery. A corps is named for the species it consists of, such as Undead or Construct.
    • Division- Each of the 3 divisions in a corps is further divided into 4 or 5 brigades, each with a portion of the Divisions 10000-15000 soldiers. A division is led by a Major General, and is named for the type of soldier/vehicle/unit it consists of, such as Infantry or Vampiric.
    • Brigade- Brigades are led by Brigadier Generals, who lead 3000-5000 troops. One per division also leads a battery of artillery. In each brigade are three regiments. The Brigadier General, Major, and Colonel plan attacks for the brigade.
    • Regiment- A regiment consist of 10 Companies of 100 men each, making 1000, lead by a Colonel. The regiment is the smallest group that fights separate from others groups of it's size; the entire regiment nearly always fights together. The main exception is when the Lieutenant Colonel takes half the regimentas a Battalion, and the Colonel takes the other half, or in cavalry, which travel as battalions.
    • Battalion- A battalion is about half of a regiment, usually 3-6 companies, and lead by a Lieutenant Colonel. A battalion of cavalry is called a squadron. Squadrons move separately.
    • Company- Companies do not move separately, but they do fight separately. (They're commanded to attack a certain part of the enemy separately.) The Company, led by a Captain, trains, sleeps, eats, and travels together. The Captain's Lieutenant leads a Platoon when it is necessary. A company of artillery is called a Battery.
    • Platoon- A platoon is a small group of about 50 soldiers, led by a (1st) Lieutenant. There are 2 in a company, unless they are small, then there are 3 and the 3rd is led by a 2nd Lieutenant. In cavalry, a large overland vehicle (Obviously bigger than a tank, probably a troop transport) may contain a whole platoon.
    • Squad- A squad is the small group that drills together and gets yelled at by the Sergeant, who in turn gets yelled at by the Captain and Lieutenant for yelling too much. In the Mess Hall a squad gets a table, in cavalry they get any vehicle larger than a tank, and in infantry they get whipped. The squad consists of 8-15 soldiers in three crews.
    • Crew- A crew is the smallest division of the army, consisting of a Corporal and 3 or 4 privates. They occupy a tank in cavalry, a piece of artillery in artillery, or a sniper crew in infantry, though they often work alone.
  • Corps in the Army- Corps are named by there types, such as Construct, Undead, and Mounted. These are some Corps types.
    • Infantry- Foot soldiers.
      • Devil- Devils fight in organized armies, in rank and file, and are all at least equipped. They're still very evil though. They do not get along with demons and will sometimes attack them on sight.
      • Demon- Demons fight in massive hordes, with thousand pouring on the opponent until all resistance falls. They are incredibly chaotic, evil, and merciless, and often abused by other, more powerful demons. No two demons are alike.
      • Undead- Undead are anything that has died but not disappeared, nor resurrected. Some types of undead include vampires, skeletons, liches, and ghosts.
      • Constructs- A Construct is anything created and imbued with life, such as golems and horrors. Construct Corps generally are found near Wizard regiments, because the Wizards control them.
      • Wizard- Wizards are arcane magic users. Individually, wizards are more powerful than most other infantry, and rarer, so they only group into regiments and occasionally brigades. Wizards are trained to wipe out the enemy's spellcasters first. Most humanoid wizards are primarily Necromancers, Transmuter, or Evokers, while non-humans are general wizards, and usually demons or liches.
      • Priest- Priests, like wizards, travel in regiments. They use divine magic, and are often found with undead that do not have a self-conscious undead leader (Like a lich). They have the same primary tactic, but also try to turn the enemy's undead to their side. Most priests in this army are Necromancers or Abjurers. Healing magic is never used to be nice, only to win.
      • Humanoid- The term "Humanoid" covers humans, elves, dwarves, halfling, gnomes, orcs, and goblins. Most of these are evil variants. These species equip themselves before joining the armies, and are generally more dangerous than other corps types. Most higher-tech weapons are used by humans, though dwarves have guns.
      • Giant- "Giants" include all kinds of giants, trolls, and ogres. Giants are generally big, strong, dumb, and organized into division by subspecies.
      • Robotic- Robotic Corps are rare, and are the most dangerous, with lots of high tech weaponry, shields, and strong metal armor. They almost always win against devils, usually against demons, sometimes against humanoids and giants, and rarely against wizards, priests, or undead. (Undead somehow screw up computers). The are usually maintained by humans.
      • Monstrous- Anything that doesn't fall under the above, such as dragons, is a monster. Monsters are usuall stupid and weak, stupid and powerful, smart and weak, or smart and powerful, but rarely in between.
    • Cavalry- Anything bigger than a person that doesn't resemble a person, or that people ride in or on.
      • Vehicular- Vehicular cavalry are things such as tanks, jeeps, troop transports, battering rams, and seige towers. Anything people ride in and close range siege weapons fall under this category.
      • Mounted- Anyone that rides something bigger than it and alive is considered mounted cavalry, whethr it is a horse, a dragon, or pitch-black 50-foot worm.
      • Monstrous- Anything that's big, walks on more than 2 legs, and is alive that doesn't fall under the above categories is monstrous.
      • Robotic- Large, nonliving robots that travel on wheels, more than 3 legs, or are much larger than humans and do not resemble them are robotic cavalry. Again, these are probably the most dangerous, withn the same strengths and weaknesses as robotic infantry.
    • Artillery- Big, usually monliving and mechanical things that fight from a distance. Artillery rarely travel in groups larger than a Battery (Company), though when the entire army is together there can be a lot more artillery than just a Battery.
      • Bombardier- Bombadier artillary bombard-that is, lob stuff in the air hoping it will land on someone or something. And sometimes blow up. These can be robotic, and rarely biological. Normal bombardier artillery are manned by a lot of people, or a few giants.
      • AAA- Anti-Aircraft Artillery are made to destroy aircraft from the ground, any way the makers can come up with. Usually they use missiles, though those still fall under AAA.
      • Missile- Missile artillery are similar to bombardier, but they launch things which then find something to hit of their own accord. These are more dangerous than bombardier, usually manned by humans, often robotic, and rarely biological.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2512117

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more