Reliable Table Captions

0 Conversations


According to the help page, tables may be given captions, but this does not work properly when the viewer is using the Brunel skin - the caption can only be seen when the invisible text is selected (by using the mouse). It does not matter whether the table is created using the Brunel skin - it is the preference of the researcher trying to read the entry which makes the difference. The following is suggested as a simple work-around, and gives results which are very similar to those obtained by using the <CAPTION> tag in the other skins, but which is visible at all times in all skins.

The prototype table, with <CAPTION>, would be have the form
<TABLE BORDER="1">
<CAPTION>
The Caption
</CAPTION>
<TR><TD>
lines of table data ...
</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>
... as entry requires
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>


giving the appearance
 


The Caption
lines of table data ...
... as entry requires


but this can be approximately emulated, in all skins, by means of


<TABLE BORDER="0">
<TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER"><B>
The Caption
</B></TD></TR>
<TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER">
<TABLE BORDER="1">
<TR><TD>
lines of table data ...
</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>
... as entry requires
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>


which is displayed as
 


The Caption

lines of table data ...

... as entry requires


This workaround does not properly enlarge caption text in Alabaster or Goo, but does give it a little prominence. However, the work around uses only GuideML which is approved for use in Edited Guide entries.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2496062

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more