Rex the Runt

1 Conversation

Rex the What?

Rex the Runt was a claymation series that ran for 13 episodes over the Christmas / New Year period 1998/99. The series was created and directed by Richard Goleszowski and featured the voices of Andrew Franks, Kevin Wrench, Elizabeth Hadley and Steve Box. Guest artists included Simon Day, Paul Merton, Pam Ayres and Bob Holness.(When asked how he created the look of the series, Goleszokski replied 'With a biscuit cutter.')

Synopsis

The series revolved around the exploits of four dogs, the eponymous Rex, his sidekick Bad Bob, his girlfriend Wendy and the demented Vince. They lived in a nice semi presumably in London. However the plots tended to part company with reality very quickly; sample plots included a plan to shrink cities and keep them as pets, Vince having a torrid romance with a hoover while the others fell down the bottom of the bed and found a sex clinic, Rex being turned into talking spaghetti, and so on.

Public Response

Despite this clearly being written and performed for an adult audience the BBC scheduled and promoted in a way that gave the impression it was a kid's show, resulting in a largely bemused audience (and several outraged letters complaining about language and content). Rex and the gang popped up during Red Nose Night 1999 but otherwise seem to have retired from showbiz in disgust.

The Lyrics to the Rex the Runt Theme Tune

In full these run* :

'Rex the Runt, Rex the Runt/It's time for some doggy dialogue/Rex the Runt, Rex the Runt/A wibbly dribbly bibbly squiggly dog.'


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A244513

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more