Word of the Week

0 Conversations

In the dim dark recesses of h2g2 history before we moved lock, stock and barrel to our new BBC home there used to be a front page feature The h2g2 Word of the Day. It was a way to highlight some of the lesser occurring or largely obscurer words in the English language. Sadly this feature was discontinued.

Until now...

Word for the Week

Sunday is Mothering Sunday so this week's word is one of those words
which most mother's will end up like for their children. It was suggested on 24 November 2000 by M@x.

Retroflex
adj. Bent or curved backwards.

Researchers have hardly been bending over backwards to use this word as its only use is in M@x's post to suggest it for WOTD. And here's me
trawling retroflexively through your suggestions every week so as not to be accused of procrastination.

From the Archive

This week's peek into the archives is for a word which some of you may well have tried to forge and say it was from your mother.

Exeat
n. Permission to leave school, college, religious order. Or permission from the Bishop for a priest to out of his diocese.

The word has featured in only one edited entry - that on University of Cambridge, UK. It is not surprising that this word should feature in an entry about one of the UK's oldest collegiate universities.

Archangel Silly Willy was looking for some
information from St. Killer Queen on 11.11.00, however it was needed by the Tuesday before the exeat weekend. LadyChatterly works in a boarding school and was logged on to hootoo in June 2003 during an exeat period. She disappeared that night to mark some more exams papers; it's good to know even teachers get distracted by h2g2. She goes on in another forum to discuss exactly what exeat weekends are in public schools. These are weekends when day pupils do work on Saturday mornings; makes me glad I went to a state school.

Another researcher who experienced exeat weekends at school is Clelba who talked about a 'not exactly one' on 10
February 2002. We won't mention skiving off Spanish classes though!

So I'm sure Shazz and the Post Team will give me an exeat until next
week.

How can you contribute?

  1. Go and check out words in the archive to avoid
    duplication.
  2. Check out the discussion threads and nominate a
    word that you feel was overlooked before
    discontinuation.
  3. Suggest a new word or your forgotten word in the
    word of the week
    archive conversation.

The Word of
the Week Archive

Demon Drawer

18.03.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2435122

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more