Jimmy Page

2 Conversations

There are not many guitarists that can combine the producing and songwritting skills the way Jimmy Page does. While many guitarists were getting their sounds by plugging into fully cranked Marshall stacks to get their sounds, Page never limited himself to this cookie-cutter pattern. He proved that a properly miked small tube amp could sound just as big if not bigger than those EL34's cranked to 10. He constantly kept switching engineers to show to the world that he was responsible for his guitar sound. Not only was Jimmy Page totally responsible for his sound, but he was the primary reason John Bonham's drums sounded so huge. Granted he was one of the greatest drummers of all time, but it was Page who made him sound superhuman. The multi-layered tracks, panning, reverse echo, and other tricks were part of Page's studio wizardry which made Zeppelin sound so three-dimensional. There has never been a band since, nor before which could combine as many different styles of music into one uniquely their own as Led Zeppelin. Whether it was the jazzy "Since I've Been Loving You," the middle-eastern "Kashmir," the bluesy "You Shook Me," the acoustic "Bron-Yr-Aur," straight up rockers "Rock and Roll" and "Whole Lotta Love," or the greatest song in rock history, Zeppelin has always been a full spectrum of styles whereas most groups wouldn't dare stray from their working formula. As if the music wasn't enough, Page presented himself on stage as no other guitarist has. Whether it was the Japanese dragon suits, the double neck Gibson, or bowing the beautiful sunburst Les Pauls at around knee level, Jimmy was just as exciting on stage as he made the music in the studio. No other guitarist can come close to matching Page. Sure I've heard shredders like Satriani, Vai, and Malmsteen and all of the other highly regarded guitarists like Hendrix, Vaughan, and Morse, but I always keep coming back to Page. In my mind, no other band has or will ever match the mighty Zep. With Page as the pilot, the group of four musicians forged many albums of timeless songs.

BTW, there really is no final word in who is *the* best guitarist. Different people listen to different musicians for different reasons. I am just merely trying to justify why I think Page is the best rather than just stating my opinion without any reasons, proof, examples etc.

by Chris Halpin :-)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A242254

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more