The Sex Pistols

3 Conversations

The Sex Pistols. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm! The greatest punk band ever. "How can you say that?" you cry. True, they couldn't play, they needed session musicians for their albums, and they were simply a bunch of sell-outs put there to make Malcolm McLaren (can't spell his bloody name) a bit of dough (well that's what my mum says).
Well, that's true punk, innit? We don't give a toss if we can't play; we'll do it anyway. Listen to Mr Johnny Rotten. He can't bloody sing! It sounds like that song from An American Tail, what with his voice breaking all the time!
I think it sounds great, so up yours. ;-).

(How much of this can I get away with before I'm barred from h2g2?)

Yeah, well, their first record deal was with EMI in 1977 (the height of punk). But when they swore a bit on Bill Grundy's Today program, EMI dropped them. Then they signed up with A&M, but accidentally trashed their offices. So then they ended up with Virgin, and that's where they stayed. Never Mind The B*****ks came something like 50-summin in the Greatest Albums thingy they did on television. It kicks.
The rest of their albums are basically NMTB with less songs, or a few (like 3) taken off and replaced with something new. You buy one Pistols album, you've bought the lot.
God Save The Queen hit #1 in '77, during the queen's silver jubilee. Officially it hit #2, but everyone knows that that was manipulation of sales figures by the pussies scared to insult the queen. Still, the band members found themselves getting beaten up in a good few fights over it.

The Pistols were very successful, but when the punk scene died down they refused to take no for an answer, and continued rehashing their act until they all died. Which is a shame.
After killing his girlfriend, guitarist Sid Viscous died of a heroin overdose.
Bassman won't mind me quoting this from him (I hope):

"Sid pioneered - in the late seventies - a technique that a plethora of manufactured bands have striven to better in the late nineties. That of being talentless hopefuls jumping on the music industry band wagon. Most (or even all) of these bands fail however in that they haven't - to my knowledge - allegedly murdered their pathetic drug soaked girlfriends and taken an overdose, which is a great shame for I'm sure the world would be no worse a place without them."

Thanks and good night ;-).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A239177

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more