David Bowie's Natural Creativity

1 Conversation

Well, what can be said about the great 'David Bowie' that hasn't already been said?

Sure he fancies himself and talks constantly, often about high brow subjects like art history and philosophy. But if you have ever heard him talk about music in any great depth, then you'll realise instantly why he's where he is today.

Unlike the chameleon character everyone seems to think he is, in actual fact I am inclined to believe he is exactly the opposite. He may change his garb from time to time, but with every step of his career he has always tried to be a real trend-setter. Ok, I admit there were a couple of exceptions, e.g. his minor blips in the mid-to-late 80's - namely the Let's Dance and Tonight albums.

However, I personally admire the way he has deliberately sort out stereotypes and exposed them for what they are. He contravenes age-old convention in order to make public statements challenging backdated attitudes. Take for example the whole Gay thing, the press were desperate to find out the score as to whether he was gay or not. He used the press in a very clever way to gain maximum publicity, exploiting the presses and the public's need to know over the issue totally for his own benefit, then ultimately said 'what does it matter one way or the other'.

He has never really sort to justify himself or apologise for anything in his life or the way he lives it as a public figure (e.g. his drug taking days). Bowie simply says, "to me this is how it is and at the end of the day I go on gut instinct. Most of the time if I disappoint or up-set anyone, its generally me as I set myself very high standards these days".

In his career he has sung about all kinds of issues, for example:

Death (My Death)
Drugs and Rent Boys (Rebel Rebel)
Suicide (Rock 'n' Roll Suicide)
Madness (All the Madmen)
Cultural Differences/Morals/Religion (Saviour Machine & Life on Mars), Political Consciousness
Public Icons (Ziggy Stardust)
Aliens and Other Life (Starman)
Raising Children (Kooks)
Acceptance (Letter to Hermione)
The Go-Getter Society (Young Americans)
Club-Culture (I am a DJ)
Loneliness (London Boys)

Well, basically the list is endless...and he has often written his own music, he plays several instruments and is a fantastic sound engineer as he has proved in the 1999 Digitally re-mastered CD versions of all his albums.

I have been a Bowie fan for 17 years now. I have all his music on Vinyl (with original covers and Picture discs) and now I have all but two of his albums on digitally re-mastered CD's.

If anyone else would like to offer an opinion, they a quite welcome, but for me he beats Elvis and John Lennon hands Down (reference the music millennium top 100 artist awards, where I think he came about third or fourth).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A235423

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more