Bradford, West Yorkshire. UK-Growth of the City from the mid 1600's

1 Conversation

Alhambra theatre----St Georges's hall

Telegraph and Argus----Press hall and Main offices

Bradford City, Passed And Present

Bradford, like most large towns, has come 'screaming' into the new millennium. Old buildings have been pulled down and replaced, refurbished, or new ones appearing over the closing decades of the twentieth century, and into the twenty-first. Bradford has a rich history and has also had some major innovations occur that have changed the face of the city center during its first
two hundred years.









Kenburgh house.Built 1835 as the Salem Chapel.

kenburgh House Manor Row Bradford

Cathedral Bradford, Church of St Peter


John Street Markets 1930s

john street market 1930s (In the future the market is to be demolished)

Oldest building in Bradford is Bolling Hall

Bolling Hall is though by many to be the oldest building in Bradford with parts dating back to medieval times. The house was for many years the seat of two important land-owning families, the Bollings and the Tempests


Walls of Jericho

Walls of Jericho

Lister park and Mannigham park

Lister Park-Manningham park, Lister Park contains the Cartwright Hall art gallery(Statue of Titus Salt, moved to the park from the town hall in 1896)

Shibdon Hall-Anne Lister

Shibden_Hall (The most famous resident being Anne Lister (1791-1840)

The Fire Station In Nelson Street

time line of nelson street fire station

As to be one of the oldest buildings in the city. When Bradford Corporation came into being, it was 1847, At the Fire Station House in Swain Street. This was the center of business for the next twenty-six years, When it was then decided that new premises were needed.

In 1869, the Council selected the current site, and the architects, (Lockwood and Mawson. The new structure provided Council Chambers, administrative offices, And the police office with cells. In later years it was again changed to serve as just the Town Hall, (renamed in 1965 with a Nelson Street fire station being built, and a separate police station, 'The Bridewell'. Both of these have since closed, to be replaced yet again.

The fire station has new premises at Leeds Road, and the police station is in a new building, next to the old fire station.

Bradford City Park Centenary Square

Centenary Square Bradford

Centenary Square lies in front of the City Hall. This is a paved area where large-scale outdoor events are held, such as the 'Welcome Home' concert for Gareth Gates (after he came second in television's Pop Idol in 2002), and when the glamour of Bollywood arrived in Bradford1. Across the square are bars and coffee houses, namely the Moritz Arabic Restaurant, Starbucks, the Turls Green (Lloyds Bar), Fusia Noodles Bar, and the ChinoThai cocktail lounge. A large seating area is outside the bars and restaurants at which the visitor can sit and relax, watching the big screen while enjoying a drink.
The big screen-this was built for the FOOTBALL world cup. The 2006 tournament


National Media Museum

National Media Museum

In June 2007. Across the square are bars and coffee houses, namely the Moritz Arabic Restaurant, Starbucks coffee house, the Turls Green (Lloyds Bar), and the Chino
Thai cocktail lounge. In front of these is a large seating area, so that you the visitor can watch the big screen while having your drink.

St. George's Hall

St Georges

To the right-rear of the town hall, and across the street, is St George's Hall. The hall was designed by Lockwood and Mawson, and was opened to the public in 1851. It was Bradford's first public concert hall. Although it has had a few changes over the years, the facia has not changed at all. You could go on Wednesday nights, to see Jackie Pallo, Les Kellet
, or Jim Breaks, wrestling. Sadly these events are now gone, and yet it still hosts the occasional star or opera.



Museum of Photography

In 1983, The National Museum of Photography, Film and Television (later named the National Media Museum) was opened at the bottom of Little Horton Lane. It was designed by Austin Smith Lord, boasting eight levels, each with it's own unique purposes. The ground floor is the main entrance, with the Pictureville Cafe
, Museum Shop, The White Room, and a picnic area. The grand feature of this floor is the Kodak Gallery.

'First' floor is home to a Gallery One, Cubby Broccoli cinema, and rides in the simulator. 'Second' floor hosts Gallery Two, (for special exhibitions). 'Third' floor holds Experience TV, advertised as 'Discover the Past, Present and Future of Television'.

'Fourth' floor accommodates Magic Factory, a place to 'play with light, lenses and colours
'. 'Fifth' floor has an Animation Gallery, where the visitor can watch a real animator at work. 'Sixth' floor is the Profiles Gallery, ... 'start at the top' with a real Oscar IMAX projection box. You can see for yourself how IMAX works

And the seventh floor is the Action Zone, populated with education workshops.

The Alhambra Theatre

Across from the photographic museum is The Alhambra Theatre. It was built from designs, and under the supervision of, Messrs
s Chadwick and Watson of Leeds and the general contractor was MR J T Wright, also of Leeds. The Alhamabra Theatre was officially opened on schedule, with a ceremony which was very quietly performed at 2 pm, on 18 March, 1914 by Mrs Annie Laidler, the wife of Francis Laidler. To witness the historic event was a small assembly of friends and colleagues, which had gathered at the main entrance.

The word Alhambra is derived from the Arabic Kal'-at al hambra,which means 'the red castle'. Externally faced with white terracotta, the Alhambra was a two-tier building in advance of its time. The accommodation consisted of orchestra stalls and pit stalls, on the ground floor, and the dress circle and balcony.

In the early years, the Alhambra rang with the sound of laughter as Jimmy Clitheroe, Arthur Askey, and Ken Dodd performed in front of delighted audiences. Each year, stars from television, film or soaps appeared in the Christmas pantomimes. In the 1980s, i
It was decided to redecorate the theatre. 30 October, 1986 saw the official reopening of the now beautifully refurbished building. Jacques Delours, President of the Commission of the European Communities, told the assembled glittering gathering that the Alhambra was now a little part of Europe.

Little Germany

quoins, in the style of a neo-mannerist palazzo. The design was also used extensively in the area known as 'Little Germany in Bradford

The Central Library

Was the first major civic building to be erected in Bradford since the end of the second World War. It was officially opened by HRH Princess Alexandra on the 17 July, 1967. In the beginning, i
It would be only a place to read a book, or a paper, and you would (as a member) be allowed to take perhaps 5 books on loan. There was a cafe on the second floor, to refresh yourself with a cup of tea after your browsing for a book to read. Around the year 2000, everything changed. The cafe was moved to the ground floor, to the left, and then later to where it is now,
To the right of the front doors.

The book-loan allowance was raised to 20 to 25 in the next few years. When the library won a lottery grant, everything changed and CDs, DVDs, or other video media was available. One other bonus of the grant was the use of one of over 50 PCs by members, with no user costs, for up to eight hours a week. Visitors are also allowed to access the Internet PC's by arrangement with the library staff.

As it is currently configured the ground floor holds Reception, a cafe, and the children's section, with a music section in the back. The first floor is deemed The Learning Zone and Signpost Service. The second floor accommodates meeting rooms and public wash-rooms.

While the third and fourth floors are allocated as Information Services, and the fifth/sixth floors are for local studies and archives, the seventh and eighth are unavailable to the general public.

Bradford City Library New Home

Bradford City Libraries New Home From 2013

The library in Manchester road was moved over to the park area after it was found to be a risk in a fire as it had many floors to it, part of the library holding records and history of Bradford files at the side to the left of the Manchester road old one



The Bradford Impressions-Gallery Is Acsessed from the Manchester road side by steps or a lift for old or disabled people ,also from the library entrance if library is open.

The Yorkshire Observer and The Telegraph and Argus

In the year 1853, on a plot of land behind St George's Hall, a five-storey wool warehouse was built. The architect was Robert Milligan of the firm Messrs Milligan, Forbes and Co2. In the 1920's, this same building was aquired by The Yorkshire Observer

The Yorkshire Observer

Telegraph and Argus, which was later named The Telegraph and Argus. It was Lord Leverhulme of soap fame, was the man who flicked the switch which started the printing presses rolling for the very first time. The new ownership employed the architects, Andrews and Delauney, who could not resist splashing architectural icing all over their cake, encrusting both open facades of the building with pediments, balconies, and in the style of a neon-manneristic palazzo. The design was also used extensively in the area known as Little Germany The Telegraph And Argos, and its stable-mate the Yorkshire Observer, engaged the presses switch for the first time. As the years went on, the presses would be renewed along with the times, until the 1980s, when the old building was no longer able to cope with the new style of press equipment that was required. The architectural firm of Robinson Design Partnership, of Bradford, was to design the full smoked glass building we see today, adjacent to the old building. The original structure is still used today for the offices.

Milligan_and_Forbes_Warehouse, the First and Third Mayor of


The Telegraph and Argus New Press Hall

Their new Press Hall was officially opened on 22 July, 1981 by the Dutchess of Duchess of Kent. To coincide with the Festival at the start of 1984, a
A series of building awards were announced within the region. On 7 June, 1984, the architect Mr Arthur Griffin of Robinson Design Partnership, was granted one of fifty awards, by the Royal Institute of Architects, for the the Telegraph and Argus Press Hall.

It is a sight to behold, i
If you are outside of the glass frontage when the presses are rolling. The workers are racing about to get the next issue out to the loading area, to the vans and the street vendors, who then deliver the news to the people in shops and on the street corners.

The Police Station (The Bridewell)

In 1963, a project to build a large 'Central Police Station' was begun, (t
The plans would be updated over the years) but it wouldn't be completed until 1974, when Her Majesty The Queen would open the Tyrls Building, 'The Bridewell'. The front part of the building, or podium, would be three floors, with a basement, and an eight-storey block attached. The main building is linked, by a corridor, with the new law

The Queens visit to Bradford

The Queens visit to Bradford

On Thursday 24 May, 2007, Her Majesty The Queen officially opened the new police station, Trafalgar House, on Nelson Street. The architects Rance, Booth and Smith (of Saltaire, Shipley), designed the new police headquarters to accommodate more than 700 officers and staff. This contemporary, four-storey headquarters boasts a variety of modern facilities, all of which provide a vastly improved working environment for officers and staff. It is in a more accessible location for members of the public. The building was fully designed and built in line with the Secured by Design Standards and the Disability Discrimination Act.

In January of 2007, The Bridewell and the outdated Odsal top police station were closed, to be replaced with an all new, up-to-date structure on Nelson Street, within a few minutes walk of the town centre. The staff were moved to the new premises during January through May, to allow The Bridewell to close on or about 24 May.

The Police Station (The Trafalgar House)

There are a number of conference and training rooms, two of which have been named:

The Hawcroft Room,(On March 12, 1981, Sergeant Michael Hawcroft from West Yorkshire Police spotted two youths trying to steal a car in Low Moor, Bradford.

The 31-year-old officer was stabbed multiple times when he tried to arrest one of the youths and he died a few minutes later.
His colleague, Inspector Newsham, was able to arrest the youth but received a number of stab wounds to his arms.

The Hawcroft Room honours Sergeant Michael Hawcroft, who was stabbed to death while on patrol, 12 March, 1981

The Beshenivksy Room is honouring the memory of PC Sharon Beshenivsky, who was shot and fatally wounded as she attended a robbery in the city on 18 November, 2005.

The Bradford Hotel

With all major centre of commerce, there was a need for transient accommodations. Along Halling's is the The Bradford Hotel (Hilton) Hotel which is also known in the �chain� as the Hilton Bradford Hotel. Designed by William Walker and Partners, it was completed in 1972. Contrary to other local edifices, it has not been faced with Bradford stone, but with stone-c
coloured concrete blocks. It might be said that the quality of the material matches the quality of the architecture.

The hotel has a four-star-rating, its seven floors offering space for conferences and banquet affairs for up to seven hundred guests. Some of its key attractions are the Britisserie Restaurant and Bar and the City Restaurant on the ground floor, to the left of the main reception. The hotel boasts fourteen meeting rooms, one hundred and twenty contemporary guest rooms (in modern beige, cream and white), with all the facilities required, including internet, satellite TV reception and telephone services included.

On-site parking is not specifically necessary, as there is the multi-storey (National Car Park) immediately adjacent to the hotel. It was built sometime in the 1960�s, and is a six-storey concrete structure, with headroom of only six foot, six inches! In its early days, many vehicles were too high to enter, and yet the height was dropped. It can hold over one hundred cars, and apparently has a checkered past � people have fallen or jumped from the top floor during its last forty plus years. (It is now September as I update 2023) (The car park is now being pulled down most of the I'ner and outer parts have been removed)

Westfield Shopping Centre

Just after the millennium,the local paper, The Telegraph and Argus, ran a piece on the development of a new shopping centre to be built in the Foster Square area, to have 75 units, at a cost of 275 million.the area was to be from the end of Market Street, across from,
the Telegraph and Argus,
the start of where Hallings and Leeds Road begins, and Foster Square to be over 750 square feet,
this would mean shops,
the C AND A.

British Home Stores, the local radio station, and many more would have to vacate for up-to two years

In 2002 after all the premisses had been vacated, work began on the demolition of the area to be Westfield.

Later in 2002 work began on the site, soon after starting the machines and workers where to leave,
and the area to be fenced off.

A few years later work began again on the underground section, then as before the site was closed again.

At this time the area was to be known to all, as the "Hole in the ground", and for years till February 2010, it would just be a eye soar.

Then plans where put forward for the area across from The Telegraph AND Argus, and the end of Market Street would be made in a temporary Community Urban Park. Work started in April 2010,partly funded by governmental incorporating footpaths, seating, grasses areas, and urban allotments So people could sit on the seats or lay on the grass in warm weather or, just take a walk from hallIngs to the other exit at the end of Market Street.

On the twenty eight of August 2010 the English De fence League chose Bradford for one of their marches, the march didn't happen as the police used the hallings side of the park to keep them in one place, at the end of the day with a few arrests the English,
De fence League. was walked back to the Interchange to the Railway Station controlled by the police.

In 2012 the group known as, Occupy came to the same part of the Urban Garden, and stayed for over twenty five days till they eventually left Bradford to occupy somewhere else.

Near the end of 2013 the local paper again ran a story that in January 2014 the work would start again on Westfield to be completed in August 2015.

Needless to say we had heard this now for 10 years, then in 2014 the site came to life, the machines, men and steel was arriving on the site.

This time there would be only 70 units,with 750,000 square feet, with five levels of car parking for 1300 public spaces, restaurants and cafes.the cost now �300 million.

Access points will be, Petergate Mall, Charles street Mall, East Brook Mall, and in the centre Market Square.

Had in 2012 announced investment to forward- purchase the development, with Westfield committed to design,construct,lease and manage the centre on completion.

The Architects given the job the design the Westfield, where Hadfield. Cawkwell. Davidson. of Sheffield, Hadfield Cawkwell Davison this is a fly-through of what it will be by 2015.

Westfield fly-through on Youtube, became Broadway

Westfield fly-through

Shops becoming tenants where, Debenhams, Marks and Spencers, Next, Topshop, Sainsbury's, Phones 4U, River Island, Vodafone. Ernest Jones,H.Samuel, Boots, KFC, Hey Potato, and many more before the completion date at the end of 2015.Some never came to Bradford to stay
like T,J Hughes twice then gone

The Broadway

The Broadway Bradford

The centre was opened at 10 am on 5 November 2015, by Alexandra Burke at the Forster Square entrance, and simultaneously at other entrances by representatives from Bradford City and the Bradford Burns Unit, and by the world's longest-married couple Karam and Kartari Chand

There are other buildings in Bradford that where new, such as the Multi-Cinema, the Stakis Casino, shopping complexes in the Canal Road area, and many more buildings outside the town core area. most now empty waiting for someone to rent.(Hollywood Bowl Bradford
4.2(2K) � Bowling Alley
The Leisure Exchange, Vicar Ln � 0844 826 145 is still open year

The Leisure Exchange, Vicar Lane

Bradford leisure-exchange.

And the town continues, to disappear and grow again anew ...

1The International Indian Film Academy Awards are the Indian equivalent to the Oscar awards. In June, 2007, Yorkshire hosted the awards with events held at a number of locations.2Of this firm, Robert Milligan served as the first Lord Mayor of Bradford (1847-1848), and then as MP in the House of Commons. Henry Forbes served as Lord Mayor from 1849 to 1850.

Bookmark on your Personal Space



Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more