Banana And Caramel Ice Cream

0 Conversations

This is my first go at this particular flavour of ice cream, so the quantities may not be quite right yet. As with all my ice creams, the recipe is formulated through trial and error. This can take some time, as a guy can only eat so much ice cream!

Equipment

You will need an ice cream maker for this recipe. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can try the "Jamie Oliver" method: place a ceramic container in the freezer for several hours beforehand, and use a spoon to stir the mixture vigorously at 10-minute intervals in the freezer.

Ingredients

For the ice cream

  • 284 ml (1/2 pint) double cream
  • 284 ml (1/2 pint) single cream
  • 4 small, ripe bananas
  • 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
  • 50 ml (2 fl. oz) brandy1

For the caramel

  • 75 g (3 oz) caster sugar
  • 50 ml (2 fl. oz) water
  • 25 g (1 oz) butter

Method

  1. Blend all the ice cream ingredients in a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, mash the bananas first, then gradually mix in the cream to ensure the mixture is well blended. Stir thoroughly to ensure that the sugar is fully dissolved. Switch on the ice cream maker and pour the mixture in. Churn the mixture for 20-30 minutes, depending on your machine.

  2. To make the caramel, heat the sugar and water in a saucepan over a high heat. When the syrup starts to turn a golden colour, stir in the butter. Continue to heat and stir until the caramel is a rich toffee colour.

  3. When the ice cream is almost set, drizzle the caramel into the mixture in a thin stream. The caramel will harden immediately on contact with the cold ice cream.

  4. Depending on your machine, you may wish to refrigerate the ice cream further before serving. Once made, the ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to three months2.

Enjoy!

1 I add alcohol to all my ice cream recipes, as it helps to keep the ice cream soft. And it tastes nice!2Although it rarely seems to last that long

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2346644

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more