Grameen Banking

0 Conversations

In 1974 Professor Muhhamad Yunus was the head of the Economics Department at Chittagong University in Bangladesh. He took a group of students to look at the rural economy in a local village.

Here they discovered that the poorest people had to borrow extremely small amounts of money to buy tiny amounts of raw materials to make products to sell. One woman had to borrow the equivalent of 15p to buy the materials necessary to make a bamboo stool. She then had to repay the loan within a week with interest of 10%1. At the end of the process she would have a profit of 1p.

Professor Yunus realised that one hope for the woman would be access to proper, reasonably priced credit. Against the advice of the mainstream banks he lent the equivalent of £17 to a group of 42 basket weavers.

Today the Grameen2 Bank - as it has become lends to over 2 million of the poorest people in the world helping them to avoid loan sharks and to change their own living conditions. 94% of the people who borrow money are women and 98% of the loans are repaid. This is a much higher rate than that of the mainstream banking fraternity.

Men: Not such a good risk

Apparently in the early days of the bank it was found that when women borrowed money it was for economic purposes to buy raw materials, small machinery or other effects to help them support their families. Men on the other hand often used the money for drinking or gambling and were seen to be a bad risk.

To assist in making sure that there was co-operation and support for the women who were borrowing borrowers were grouped into cells. 5 women would consist one cell and the first woman's loan had to be repaid before the second woman could borrow and so on. This ensured that the women helped one another and encouraged the repayment of the money.

1This would be an Annual Percentage Rate of over 14,000% if it were compounded on a weekly basis!2Grameen means village

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2336942

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more