A Conversation for Welcome to the H2G2 Fringe

Great idea GVI

Post 1

Peta


This is a really good idea, there are some good pages. If any come up here that you think merit a front page mention then please do let me know on my page or at peta's pecks and I will highlight them.

The fringe itself is worthy of a front page mention - so I will make a note of the page number and stick it to my wall.

Thanks.

Peta smiley - smiley


Great idea GVI

Post 2

Jimi X

Peta is everywhere!
I just found this page on my own and think it's a great (make that GREAT) idea! I'm giving you a link from my front! Good luck and I'll stop by again later...
smiley - smiley


Great idea GVI

Post 3

bubster

"Now THAT's what I call thinking!"

I've always found it odd that humo(u)r was so frowned upon, given the nature of the material that drew most of us here in the first place, but all I've ever done is grumble about it when I should have been applying this sort of lateral thinking. Actually I mulled over the idea of a 'one-liners' page for those of us who received rejection slip 13b (I would quote it but I think I must have deleted it in a fit of pique, but something to the effect of a one-liner does not a guide entry make), so perhaps you would consider "one-liners" as a category.

As I would like to think that everything I submit will be rejected purely on the ground that it is too funny (rather than, say, excruciatingly dull, poorly written or tediously repetitive) I may well simply submit my articles here and bypass the whole awful anticipation of rejection angst I have previously submitted my self to.

In the meantime, may I humbly recommend the following gems:

The Noughties (http://www.h2g2.com/A38080)
Grammar (http://www.h2g2.com/A37991)
Prejudice (http://www.h2g2.com/A81361)

and the soon to be rejected:
Absent-mindedness (http://www.h2g2.com/A150904).


Great idea GVI

Post 4

Jimi X

Hey bubster! Don't stop submitting stuff just because of a few rejects...

I know I don't frown upon humour and as long as an entry makes sense and is informative, I'll always take a bit of humour on top! I think that is the general consensus of the other subbies and possibly TPTB (though I NEVER speak for them!). Really, if you've written a piece that is both funny and informational, it shouldn't be rejected just because it's funny...
However, one-liners are kind of tough because there isn't a lot of information there to help the humour along. I got an entry to sub a while ago that was a copy of an email joke that had gone around my office a few weeks ago. NOT the kind of thing I think we're looking for as an "Approved Entry".

Hope this babble helps! Please don't get discouraged because of a few rejects!! And I know you've heard it before, but being rejected doesn't mean much - your entry is still in the Guide. In fact, that email joke was still listed when I did a search for it just now! I think GVI has a good point to put stuff that has been rejected by TPTB (not us subbies, we just check grammar and facts and stuff) here for the amusement and entertainment of others. Not all of us can write like DNA and be entertaining, humourous AND informative at the same time.

- Jimi X


Great idea GVI

Post 5

bubster

Hey, Jimi. I'm not discouraged and I'm entirely gruntled (opposite of disgruntled, donchaknow) with the rejection of my articles. I know why and I completely understand - heck I would probably have rejected them myself. I'm just not sure I have the knack of producing anything - what was the word you used? Informative? - I'll just go look that up.

'sides, my very first article (Abbreviations: http://www.h2g2.com/A46649 go read it - you know it makes sense) got accepted so I have nothing to prove. Well, nothing much. Well, at least I sleep nights now. Sometimes. Look, can we cut now?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more