Peace Works.....

0 Conversations

This is something I have been planning to do for a long while.

There are a lot of programs, small, grass-roots projects which are making a difference in Third World countries, war-torn, or recovering from war. These aren't projects funded by super-powers or the ones pumping large sums of money directly into the pockets of government officials.

Many of the projects that I will highlight are funded and carried out by small groups, working directly with the people in crisis. One provides wells to communities where children would normally walk 5-6 miles a day to collect a bucket of filthy water. A group of Israelis plant olive trees in Palestinian communities, for the Palestinian people. Another teaches women in African countries to plant trees in an effort to reforest drought-stricken regions.

I'll be adding to the list frequently.

Fotokids: http://www.fotokids.org/en/home.html

"The purpose of Fotokids is to help small groups of Central American young people from the poorest of barrios develop useful, employable skills as a means to self-exploration, expression, and discovery. Through intensive, long-term, personal relationships with teachers and mentors, participating children learn and use photography, creative writing, and computers as tools to examine their lives, families, communities, and environment."

"Light Up the World": http://www.lutw.org/

"Light Up The World (LUTW) founded in 1997 by Dr.Dave Irvine-Halliday is a humanitarian initiative whose chief goal is to assist poor villagers in the developing world obtain a useful, healthy, safe, reliable, rugged, affordable and environmentally friendly White Light Emitting Diode (WLED) based form of home lighting."

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2292176

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more