A Conversation for Tibet News

Tibet News bulletin

Post 61

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

China is reported to have released three political prisoners, Jamphel Jangchup, Anu and Lobsang Namgyal. Jamphel Jangchup was convicted in 1989 of taking part in demonstrations and printing 'reactionary literature'. Anu and Lobsang Namgyal were imprisoned for distributing 'seperatist' leaflets.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 62

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

China is reported to have increased the prison sentence of Jigme Gyatso to 17 years. He had been sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for taking part in 'political activities'.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 63

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

The birthday of Panchen Lama Gedhun Choekyi Nyima will be celebrated on 25 April. The world's youngest political prisoner was kidnapped by Chinese authorities on 17 May, 1995. His whereabouts and condition remain unknown.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 64

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

17 May, 2005, marks the tenth anniversary of the abduction of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the six-year-old boy named as the 11th incarnation of the Panchen Lama of Tibet. The whereabouts and condition of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, now in his teens, is unknown; China steadfastly refuses to provide evidence that he is alive and well.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 65

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Two Tibetan monks, Kunchok Tenpa and Tsundue Gyamtso, have been sentenced to three years imprisonment for allegedly pasting up pro-independence posters. According to information received by Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy (TCHRD), 'the first was a pro-independence poster, the second was critical of the corrupt practices prevalent among the higher Chinese officials and the third poster called for Tibetans to boycott shops and restaurants owned by Hui Hui Chinese Muslims'. TCHRD is gravely concerned for their well being and reports that the condition of the two men remains unknown to members of their families.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 66

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Tibet Justice Center
Monday, June 20, 2005
PRESS REALEASE

Slovenia, June 19 - Three Resolutions condemnåing China for the lack of Freedom of Expression and opinion were passed today at the 71st PEN International Congress in Bled, Slovenia. The Resolution submitted by the Tibetan Writers Abroad PEN Centre on the ongoing and widespread crackdown on Freedom of Expression in Tibet was unanimously passed at the General Assembly. The International PEN is the only worldwide association of writers set up in 1921. PEN currently has 141 Centres in 99 countries where the Tibetan Writers Abroad Centre is an equal member.

The Tibetan Resolution called China to free all Tibetan writers who are under arrest, in prison or who are deprived of their political rights and right to movement. In specific, the resolution urged Beijing to release Geshe Je Tashi Gyaltsen, Jamphal Gyatso, Tsultrim Phelgye, Lobsang Dargye, and Toesam Zangden from Darkar Telzong Monastery in Amdo, Tibet, who were arrested on 16th January this year for the alleged reason of spreading negative political ideology in their writings.

Another Resolution tabled by the Independent Chinese Centre urging Beijing to release all arrested and imprisoned writers and journalists in Tibet, East Turkestan, Inner Mongolia and China was also passed unanimously.

Also unanimously passed was a Resolution on Crackdown on Internet Writing to the World Summit on Information Society which reffered to China for its ongoing censorship and banning of websites containing articles on Falun Gong sect and Tibetan identity.

A representative of the Tibetan Abroad PEN Centre, Tsering Yangkey said, 'It was truly wonderful to see everyone unanimously voting to support the resolutions against Beijing. It truly showed in action that all these 140 PEN Centres from around the globe oppose any form of suppression of Freedom of Expression in any country and are not afraid to stand by their moral principles'.


--Tibet Resolution Text-

RESOLUTION

Considering the ongoing and widespread crackdown on freedom of expression of Tibetans inside Tibet and in the Peoples Republic of China:

Concerned by the detention of many writers in various prisons, making the country one of the largest detained writers in the world:

Opposing the escalation of state-ordered assaults on independent-minded and free media in Tibet, in which editors are arrested, publications closed and blackouts imposed on politically sensitive events:

Further concerned by the Chinese Government's continued imposition of repressive measures in Tibet that limit any display of support for an independent Tibet, human rights or religious and cultural expression of Tibetan identity:

Urges the Government to:

Release all Tibetan prisoners in Tibet and PRC, who are detained in violation of their right to freedom of expression, including: Geshe Je Tashi Gyaltsen, Jamphal Gyatso, Tsultrim Phelgye, Lobsang Dargye, and Toesam Zangden from Amdo, Tibet.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 67

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

State Department press release of 1 July says USA is pleased Chinese officials have met with envoys of the Dalai Lama in Bern, Switzerland, 29-30 June, and expects such meetings will lead to progress in resolving 'longstanding differences'.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 68

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Birthday celebrations were held in honour of the 70th Birthday of His Holiness the Dalai Lama on 6 July. 17th Karmapa, Ugyen Trinley Dorje, who escaped from Tibet into exile in 1999, sat beside the Dalai Lama at a ceremony in the Tsuglakhang temple.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 69

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Nepalese police disrupted celebrations of the Dalai Lama's birthday in Kathmandu on 6 July. Tibetan and Nepalese Buddhists were ordered away from the famous Swayambhunath stupa and forbidden to display images of the Dalai Lama.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 70

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Dalai Lama's Message to the G8:

It is clear that no individual or group, community or nation can live in isolation, given the reality of the interdependent world we now live in. This is not merely an abstract concept, but a political, economic and environmental reality. We must realise that our every action has an impact on others and the emerging global community.

Every day we hear or read about breathtaking manifestations of affluence as well as deaths due to starvation, poverty, malnutrition, and preventable or curable diseases. We must ask ourselves whether something is wrong with our choice of goals or with our motivation or with both. Wherever it occurs, poverty is a significant contributor to social disharmony, ill health, suffering and war. Those of us who are able to do so have a moral responsibility to make every effort to eradicate it by promoting the equitable distribution of wealth both within nations and among nations, and to reversing the current trend toward a widening gap between rich and poor.

Most of our human problems, such as hunger, poverty and inequality, do not arise out of the blue. They occur as a result of causes and conditions, many of which are within our control. This is why firm and positive leadership is important. And to be effective, leaders need to display commitment, strategy and action. Therefore, in support of the positive potential of the G8 Summit about to be held in Scotland, and the objectives of the Make Poverty History Campaign, I call upon G8 Leaders and their advisors to consider and reflect upon the consequences of their thoughts, decisions and actions. Do they and will they contribute to the well being of all human beings and the planet?

An interdependent society has to be a compassionate society, compassionate in its choice of goals and compassionate in cooperation in pursuit of those goals. Concerned not only for ourselves, our families, our communities and country, we should also feel a responsibility for the individuals, communities and peoples who make up the human family as a whole. We require not only compassion for those who suffer, but also a commitment to share what we have with those in need.

There is a great and growing desire for change in the world: change that ushers in a renewed commitment to ethical and spiritual values; that resolves conflicts peaceably, employing dialogue and non-violence; that upholds human rights and human dignity as well as human responsibility. We need change that educates and promotes the urgent need to care for the planet and its ecological systems, that calls upon all nation states to work towards the universal abolition of nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction and that encourages peace, compassion, respect and warm-heartedness. I believe that these goals can be achieved on the basis of increased awareness.

The G8 Summit and the Make Poverty History Campaign can and will be turning points in history if G8 Leaders and their governments live up to their earlier commitments to take actual steps to reduce poverty in the world. If they succeed we all will benefit, whereas failure will harm us all. Let us widen our perspective to include the well being of the whole world and its future generations in our vision of prosperity and freedom.

- His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama
28th June 2005

(Given to the Edinburgh Inter-Faith Association by The Office of His Holiness The Dalai Lama)


Tibet News bulletin

Post 71

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Tibetan Centre for Human rights and Democracy reports that four Tibetan monks were arrested by Chinese Public Security Bureau (PSB) officers on 23 May 2005. Jamyang Dhondup, Dhargay Gyatso and two other unidentified monks were arrested on suspicion of pasting bills calling for 'Freedom in Tibet' on the walls of Labrang Tashikyil Monastery and its surrounding areas. The whereabouts of the monks is currently unknown.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 72

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

The Manhae Foudation (South Korea) has named His Holiness the Dalai Lama of Tibet as the winner of 2005 Manhae Grand Prize for Peace: 'His Holiness the Dalai Lama, in his struggle for the freedom of the Tibetan people has consistently opposed the use of violence. He
has instead advocated peaceful solutions based upon tolerance and mutual respect in order to preserve the unique Buddhist cultural heritage of his people.' Manhae was a Korean Buddhist monk and poet (1879-1944) who devoted most of his life to the independence of his homeland. Other Manhae Peace Prize recipients include South
Africa's former President Nelson Mandela and former Korean President, Kim Dae-Jung.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 73

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

According to a Radio Free Asia (RFA) report, three Tibetan men were arrested and charged with 'instigation to split the country' for trying to carry pictures and audio tapes of the Dalai Lama into Tibet. One of the men received a 2 year jail sentence plus two years 'deprivation of political rights'. The other men were sentenced to four-year jail terms, one for having a copy of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 74

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Human Rights Watch reports that a caretaker monk, Sonam, was arrested at the rear vehicle entrance of the Potala Palace by Chinese security forces on or about 21 August, 2005. Charges against him, if any, and his present whereabouts and condition are unknown.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 75

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

TCHRD -8 November,2005


A young monk dies under mysterious circumstances following the “patriotic education” campaign in Drepung monastery

Ngawang Jangchub, 28 years old, died in the first week of October 2005 under mysterious circumstances in his quarter in Drepung Monastery, according to confirmed information received by the Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy (TCHRD). He was found dead a day after he had a heated argument with “work team” officials conducting the “patriotic education” campaign in the monastery.

The “work team” officials have arrived in the monastery in the beginning of October 2005 to conduct the campaign. As stipulated by the guidelines of the campaign, the monks in the monastery were required to condemn the Dalai Lama as a “splittist” and to pledge their loyalty to the Chinese government. Some of the monks refused to be “educated” and an argument erupted between them and the officials. It is reported that during the argument, Ngawang flatly refused to condemn the Dalai Lama calling him “the saviour for the present and the next life”. He told the officials that he had no regrets, even if he was to be expelled from the monastery. Ngawang further refuted the Chinese officials’ claim of Tibet being a part of China; he reportedly said, “Tibet has never been a part of China historically and I dismiss your claim over Tibet”. In response, the officials verbally abused him and threatened him with dire consequences. Following the argument, Ngawang furiously returned to his quarter and did not come for the next day’s session. When the other monks went to check on him, they found him dead in his room. The exact cause of his death is unknown although the monks speculate suicide due to extreme psychological trauma.

Ngawang Jangchub a.k.a. Aku Ril Ril hails from Lhakhang Village, Phodo Township, Phenpo Lhundrup County, Lhasa Municipality, “Tibet Autonomous Region” (“TAR”).

The “patriotic education” campaign in the monastic institutions dislodges the mental equilibrium of the monks and the nuns, sometimes leading them to take extreme steps. The incessant political brainwashing employed during the campaign to force the clergy to reiterate party principles make the monks and the nuns undergo extensive mental agony - sometimes driving them to commit suicide. On 1 May 2000, Tashi Rabten of Thentok Monastery died under mysterious circumstances just after a 30-member “work team” interrogated him and forcibly led him to the private hall to search for photos of the Dalai Lama. Soon after, he was found lying in a pool of blood. He died shortly afterwards.

There has been a noted rise in the conduct of the “patriotic education” campaign since early 2005. Throughout the year, recent arrivals who fled Tibet reported conduct of the “patriotic education” campaign in Talung Monastery, Phenpo Gyabdrak Nunnery, Shugseb Nunnery and Sera Monastery. Expulsions from the monastic institutions and arrests were also reported following the campaign in the aforementioned monasteries and nunneries.

The "patriotic education" campaign started in 1996 is one of the major causes of religious repression in Tibet and is in contravention with international laws on religion. Threatening, expulsion, arrest and coercion in making the monastic community to follow the official directives contravene the UN human rights provisions on religion. TCHRD has documented expulsion of 11,383 clergy between January 1996 and August 2004 under the "patriotic education" campaign.

For related information click on the following link:

http://www.tchrd.org/press/2005/nb20051013.html

-------------End Text---------------


Tibet News bulletin

Post 76

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC)
December 06, 2005

The aftermath of the deaths and the sufferings of the monks and nuns of Drepung and Gharik Monasteries of Tibet through the repressive Patriotic re-education Campaign by the Chinese Communist Party saw powerful reverberations in the Indian Capital city of New Delhi with over 40 Tibetans including 7 women storming the notorious Chinese Emb assy this mornings. Led by the Central Executive Committee of Tibetan Youth Congress, the activists from the RTYC Delhi Youth Hostel, RTYC Samyelling and RTYC Dharamshala converged on the Embassy with the cries of “Stop killing in Drepung Monastery”, “ Free Tibet”, “ Release immediately the arrested monks and nuns in Tibet” and “Stop the Patriotic re-education Campaign in Tibet” etc. taking the high security presence by surprise.

The demonstrators, besides raising slogans, scaled the walls of the Embassy and shoved leaflets inside the Embassy and raised banners calling out their demands. The activists also tied themselves to the poles and trees to avoid being taken away by the security forces.
A group of protesters put their spray paints to good effect by painting the entire walls surrounding the Embassy with “FREE TIBET” slogans to remind the Chinese of the rightful owner of Tibet. The demonstration that continued for over half an hour attracted the attent ions of the Embassy staff and the vehicles passing by resulting in the traffic jam in the vicinity.
Amongst the activists, Mr. Dawa Tsering and Mr. Pasang Tsewang from Dharamshala accompanied TYC President Godrukpa Kalsang Phuntsok and scaled the gates and entered the premises of the Embassy. They shouted slogans, raised banners and protested against the illegal and inhuman torture of the Tibetans inside Tibet and also demanded the staffs and the Security personals of the Embassy, a meeting with the Ambassador for a response for the ongoing repression and fateful developments in Tibet. They handed over a Memorandum calling for the end of Patriotic re-education Campaign in Tibet and sought the release of all arrested monks and nuns in Tibet. The memorandum also called for the re-induction of the detained monks in their respective monasteries.

Mr. Kalsang and others were severely manhandled and confronted by the staff and the security personals of the Embassy and were subsequently arrested after a prolong demonstration and resistance inside the premises. However the activists succeeded in speaking their demands to the staffs and warned that any further repression in Tibet would be met with more responses from the Tibetans in the Diaspora. They clearly signaled to the Chinese that the Tibetans all over the world would not remain silent for such incessant repression against its innocent fellow brothers. Over 26 activists were later arrested and taken away to the nearby Chanakya Police Station. A case was also lodged against the demonstrators for the security violation. Major electronic and print medias were present there during the whole demonstration to cover the event.

The Tibetans were protesting against the recent expulsions, arrests, killings and even suicides of monks and nuns in Tibet, following the intensification of the “Patriotic Re-education” campaign which requires every Tibetan monks and nuns to denounce His Holiness the Dalai Lama as a “Separatist” and accept “Tibet as a part of China”. The most recent case is of a suicide committed by two monks and the arrest of around 70 from Drepung Monastery. The two monks were compelled to take this sacrilegious step after being repeatedly confronted by the Chinese “Work Team” officials during the “re-education sessions to denounce His Holiness the Dalai Lama as a “Separatist” and accept “Tibet as a part of china”. There are also reports that around 120 nuns of Gharig Nunnery held protests against communist China’s notorious campaign.
Tibetan Youth Congress demands the immediate termination of the “Patriotic re-education campaign” in Tibet, and the immediate release and reinstatement of the arrested monks and nuns.

Tibetan Youth Congress also urge the friends and supporters of the Tibetan cause and the international community not to lose sight of our commitments to Tibet with politically defined perceptions but to heed and respect the aspirations of the Tibetan people of complete independence unto which our brethrens in Tibet continue to sacrifice their blood and life.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 77

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

DHARAMSALA, Dec 20 (RFA) —Chinese authorities in a Tibetan region of
Gansu province have arrested a number of monks and nuns for putting up a poster calling on Beijing to start a dialogue with their exiled
spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.

"A group of monks and nuns from the Labrang Tashikyel monastery in Kanlho Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Gansu Province, were arrested for putting up a poster urging the Chinese leadership to initiate dialogue with His Holiness the Dalai Lama," a source told Radio Free Asia's reporter in Dharamsala, home to the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan
Government-in-Exile.

"The monks and nuns arrested were Thargyal from the Arik area, Jamyang Samdup from Drakmar, a monk named Sherab, and Chokyi Dolma, a nun from Gomang township...Nobody knows about their whereabouts," said the source, who called RFA's office from within Tibet.

Poster called for Dalai Lama talks The caller said two nuns whose names were unknown had also been arrested in April.

"The reason for their arrest was putting up a poster demanding Chinese leadership to initiate talk with Dalai Lama to resolve the issue of Tibet on April 15, 2005," the caller from the Amdo region of Tibet said.

"Family members suspect that the arrested nuns and monks were detained in a jail in Kanlho. When their family members requested the local officials' permission to visit their relatives in prison, it was denied," said the source, who declined to be identified because of fear of retaliation.

"However, the officials offered to hand over money from the family to
the prisoners."

The Dalai Lama fled to India after a failed uprising by Tibetans in
1959, nine years after China's People's Liberation Army marched into
Tibet to establish Chinese rule there. Beijing has ruled the Dalai Lama out of Tibet's future, and punishes anyone in possession of pictures of him or his writings.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 78

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

The US-based Freedom House has announced that Tibet is among the two "worst-rated territories" for the 2004-2005 period, in terms of respect for political rights and civil liberties.

In its annual survey of global freedom, "Freedom in the World," released in New York on December 19, 2005, Freedom House said, "There are two worst-rated territories: Tibet (under Chinese jurisdiction) and Chechnya, where an indigenous Islamic population is engaged in a brutal guerrilla war for independence from Russia."

"The Ratings reflect global events from December 1, 2004 through November 30, 2005," a Freedom House Press Statement said.

According to the survey, 89 countries are Free, the same as the previous year. These countries' nearly 3 billion inhabitants (46 percent of the world's population) enjoy open political competition, a climate of respect for civil liberties, significant independent civic life, and independent media. Another 58 countries representing 1.2 billion people (18 percent) are considered Partly Free. Political rights and civil liberties are more limited in these countries, in which the norm may be corruption, weak rule of law, ethnic and religious strife, and a setting in which a single political party enjoys dominance. The survey finds that 45 countries are Not Free. The 2.3 billion inhabitants (35 percent) of these countries are widely and systematically denied basic civil liberties and basic political rights are absent.

Since 1972, Freedom House has published an annual assessment of the state of freedom in all countries (and select territories), now known as Freedom in the World. Individual countries are evaluated based on a checklist of questions on political rights and civil liberties that are derived in large measure from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Each country is assigned a rating for political rights and a rating for civil liberties based on a scale of 1 to 7, with 1 representing the highest degree of freedom present and seven the lowest level of freedom. The combined average of each country's political rights and civil liberties ratings determines an overall status of Free, Partly Free, or Not Free.

China's rating in this year's survey is "Not Free." It scored 7 in the field of political rights and 6 in the field of civil liberties. Tibet is listed under "Disputed Territories" and its freedom rating is "Not Free." Tibet scored 7 in political rights and 7 in civil liberties, making it as the region having the lowest level of freedom.

Freedom House says the ratings are "not only assessments of the conduct of governments, but are intended to reflect the reality of daily life."

In Asia, 16 of the region's 39 countries are Free (41 percent), 12 are Partly Free (31 percent), and 11 are Not Free (28 percent). A solid majority of the region's countries, 23, are in the ranks of electoral democracies.

Freedom House is a non-profit, non-partisan organization and is led by a Board of Trustees composed of leading Democrats, Republicans, and independents; business and labor leaders; former senior government officials; scholars; writers; and journalists.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 79

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Heinrich Harrer has died at the age of 93. His family did not disclose the cause of death; but he is said to have passed away peacefully in hospital. His funeral will take place in Hüttenberg, Austria, on 14 January.


Tibet News bulletin

Post 80

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Spain's National Court will investigate a case of genocide against the Tibetan people by the Chinese Communist Party. The accusation was made by Spanish Tibet support group Comite de Apoyo Del Tibet (CAT). Among the seven high-ranking officials accused is former president Jiang Zemin.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more