Sputnik

0 Conversations

Sputnik

Sputnik 1

Sputnik 1, launched on October 4, 1957, was the world's first artificial satellite.

It was also the first Soviet satellite programme and consisted of four Sputnik or "fellow traveller” satellites. It was relatively small having a mass of only 83.6 kg and its mission was to send back data concerning the density of the earth’s upper atmosphere, and ionosphere.

This it did but only for 21 days then it stopped transmitting signals.

Sputnik 2

The second Sputnik, Sputnik 2, was launched on November 3, in the same year and weighed in at 508.3 kilograms. However this time it was different. It carried a passenger on board. A dog called Laika. For just over a week scientists monitored Laika’s biological rhythms to see how a living body adapted to space.

Unfortunately they had not yet worked out how to return safely from space so Laika was put to sleep.

Sputnik Un-numbered

April 27, 1958 saw the launch of the third Sputnik satellite but it was destroyed only 88 seconds into its flight and as such it was not given a number.

Sputnik 3

This meant that Sputnik 3 was actualy the fourth sputnik launched. As it was on May 15, 1958. It was supposed to send back data on the results experiments carried out on the Earth's magnetic field, radiation belt, and ionosphere and this one weighed 1,327Kg.

It went on orbiting the earth and sending back data until the 6th of April 1960


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2120194

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more