Born In The USA - A personal opinion

3 Conversations

Born In The USA: Bruce Springsteen

Springsteen, perhaps forgivably considering his career was at a stage when he was playing huge arenas for hours on end, makes his worst recorded lapse into stadium rock.

Roy Bittan's synthesizers sound dated and extraordinarily cheesy, and swamp a rock and roll by numbers performance from the rest of the E Street band and uninspired vocal performance, with shouting standing in for emotional involvement.

Whilst the additional energy of the live version does make up for some of these failings, the lyric does not stand up to close examinations. Another of Bruce's stories of the working man kicking against society it adds nothing to, say, The River or Reason To Believe except bad rhymes and gratuitous references to Vietnam.

And while it wasn't Bruce's fault, it may even have helped Ronald Reagan's career. I'll take "Nebraska", any day.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A211366

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more