The Postcard as a Literary Device

0 Conversations


The Postcard is a convenient literary device wherein
budding writers can practice their skills. Prizes are
offered for this category in some writing contests,
the content invariably encapsulating a moment of drama,
or any interesting subject, that can be contained in
a maximum 250 word format - for example :


Argy Bargy


   “Hey! We’re moving.”

   “Better go see.”

   Jack clattered up the ladder, took one look, stuck his head below deck and yelled, “Get up here, we’re adrift.”

   The big steel work-barge was out of control, sweeping down the current, a plume of spray marking the Falls about a mile down-stream.

   “Jeez, I think we’ve had it,” cried Jack.

   “The barge bounced off a rock so hard they had to hang tight. It realigned itself with the current, its tough hull booming as it hit more rocks, then, grinding across a reef, it triggered an instant response from Patey.

   “Scuttle her!” he shouted, “we’ll scuttle her - let's go.”

   They scrambled below where the deck hatches cast sufficient light for them to work the sea-cocks. They had several times barked their shins against them and knew exactly where they lay. There were three on either side of the flat bottom. Scared they might be rusted shut, there was a moment of joy when they found they opened easily when the levers were thrown. In seconds six geysers were flooding the hull.

   They rushed back on deck, the barge already settling but picking up speed as it descended the main chute. Suddenly it hit an underwater ledge so hard, they were thrown flat, the current forcing it further up until it stuck fast. The Falls were only a hundred feet or so distant.

   They waited. Nothing happened.

   “We made it,” said Patey.

   “Think so?” Jack was not convinced.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A20847963

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more