Christmas Eats

0 Conversations

Tis again the time of year to start thinking of the luscious foods that we stuff ourselves with over the christmas season.

No, I have no idea WHY they aren't eaten at other times of the year, but to be honest, it's probably to prevent strokes, heart attacka and general obesity.

Anyhoo, here is a family favorite from my Granny's cookbook.

Clootie Dumpling:



This is a traditional Scottish version of Plum Pudding or Christmas cake. And a lot nicer too....Honest.

Utensils!



Piece of unbleached cloth, preferably Muslin or cotton, about 60cm X 60cm if making one Clootie - you can always divide the mix and make smaller ones. Update 2005 - I've just got six baby Clooties from one lot of mix - they are so cute.

Very large mixing bowl. The whole family for stirring purposes (I promise you, this is essential. My mum always said it was lucky for everyone to have a stir of the mix. I now know why!)Update 2005 - use yer hands - much faster and more fun

Very large pan (I usually use a large pasta pot)

Trivet for the bottom of the pan (or use a saucer if unavaliable - though summat with holes in is better)

Kitchen string (Don't do a Briget Jones, undyed string please!)



Optional:

A few 5 and 10 and 20 pence pieces.

Good quality aluminium foil.



Wrap the coins in the foil and add them while the family is stirring. These are nice little surprises for little kids - but be warned, many a christmas arguement has started over the uneven distribution of coins in my family)


The Ingredients.



6oz Self Raising Flour

9oz Breadcrumbs

4.5oz Chopped Suet (you can use the vegetarian stuff just in case)

10oz Brown Sugar

1.5lbs Mixed Dry Fruit

1 Grated Eating Apple

1 Grated Carrot

3 tsps Mixed Spice

1 tsp Baking Powder

3 Eggs

1 Sherry glass of Sherry / Port / Rum / ale

Grated Rind of 1 Orange and 1 Lemon

Juice of 1 Orange and 1 Lemon

The Method:



Mix the dried ingredients.
Stir in the eggs, fruit juice and booze.

Put cloth in boiling water, bring back to the boil.

Remove cloth from water and spread on surface.

Sprinkle the boiled cloth liberally with plain flour. Just cover the cloth - if it's too thick then you get an inediable skin


Pile mix in the middle of the flour (DON'T SPREAD IT AROUND!) and cover lightly with more flour. This combines with some of the fat in the dumpling to form a 'skin' which keeps all the wonderful flavours inside (and of course keeps it sealed until you finally open on christmas day!)



Bring the cloth up around the mix and tie securely with string.

Put pudding in boiling water and boil for five hours for a big one(remember to top up with boiling water occasionally)


When drying out the pudding, ensure that the top bit (where the string is tied and the excess material is gathered, gets dry quickly, otherwise the whole thing will go mouldy. It usually spends the first night (after dripping off the excess liquid) upside down on the top of a working radiator in my house.Don't worry about the shape of the pudding at this point


Then
hang the dumpling to dry/mature in a dry, high place with plenty of ventilation - make sure you aren't going to bump your head on it though - it gets quite hard.. ;)



Leave to mature for a few weeks (the longer the better) then cut down and boil for two hours.
Cut off the string and remove the cloth and shove in the oven to brown the skin. This skin can be eaten, though most people I know just cut a slice and scrape out the juicy dumpling from inside it.
Sprinkle with caster sugar and serve with cream (or even better, Carnation milk)

Addtional bits:

OK, the sherry Glass of alkiehol is the traditional amount. Last year I amd it with a 'glass' as in the Oirish glass (a half pint) and it was gorgeous (or maybe that was the quarter pint of oatmeal beer, and an eighth of a pint each of sherry and brandy mmmmmmm) Use your own judgment, just don't get the mix too runny or you won't be able to pile the mix properly.

So, you have made your Clootie Dumpling, and of course devoured it. But if you have any left I'll just say it re-heats in the microwave very well (unless you put the foil wrapped coins in it of course!) and also in the oven.



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2035829

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more