Jungian Types (revision of approved guide entry A261884)

2 Conversations

//note to editor: I have been contacted by CPP, Inc. concerning brand confusion between the MBTI* instrument and the Keirsey Character Sorter. It is in the interest of all to amend article A261884 "Myers Briggs Type Indicator" as indicated below. My apologies and thanks, ringWraith917.
8-) :-( :-) ;-)

><> Jungian Types are commonly used by personality tests. The test taker receives a typing consisting of four letters. The four letters are to distinguish between four pairs of factors: Introversion and Extroversion, iNtuition and Sensing, Feeling and Thinking, and Perceiving and Judging. There are a total of sixteen types: INFJ, INFP, INTJ, INTP, ISFJ, ISFP, ISTJ, ISTP, ENFJ, ENFP, ENTJ, ENTP, ESFJ, ESFP, ESTJ, and ESTP. Each type has a distinctly different personality. This personality is a sum of the factors described below.
><> Introversion(I) is the preference to seek refuge within. Introverts tend to be quiet and withdrawn people. They enjoy being by themselves and find it refreshing. Social situations tax the introvert's energy. Where an extrovert(E) could be at a party all night long and go to another in the morning (if they are not too drunk), an introvert may bee seen as a 'party pooper'. This is not the case. The introvert 'is pooped by the party'(Keirsey 1984).
><> Intuition(N) is the tendency to read between the lines, so to say. Intuiters are not easily fooled. They often see below the suface of situations and act on seemingly hidden information. Something seemingly obvious to an intuiter may be completely hidden to a senser(S). The intuiter often uses imagery and metaphors in written or spoken language, where the senser just doesn't get it sometimes (Keirsey 1984). Sensers notice details, intuiters notice wholes.
><> Feeling(F) is the preference to make choices 'on a personal basis', rather than objectively (Keirsey 1984). Feeling people are seen as more emotional than thinking(T) people. Thinking people just don't show it. Feelers are warm-hearted and personal, while thinkers may be 'cold hearted' and impersonal. More women than men are feelers and the opposite is true for thinkers.
><> Judging(J) is the preference for closure, as opposed to the 'open ended'. Judgers are more apt to make a decision quickly and stick to it. Perceivers(P) are likely to put off a decision due to the fact that if a deccision is made, it may not be able to be changed. Judgers are likely to have a planner and do things on schedule. Perceivers are more flexible, though they may need to be reminded of important things, and a planner is a good idea.
><> The MBTI* test and the Keirsey Character Sorter are examples of tests which use Jungian Types.
:-) Most of the information in this entry comes from the book "Please Understand Me" by David Keirsly and Marilyn Bates (Copyright 1984) distributed by Prometheus Nemesis Book Company.
:-) Here is where you can take the Keirsey Cahracter Sorter: http://keirsey.com/cgi-bin/keirsey/kcs.cgi .
:-) *MBTI is a registered trademark of CPP, Inc.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A200449

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more