Collagen

0 Conversations

Collagen

Collagen is found in the skin, cartilage, bones, teeth, tendons, and the walls of the blood vessels. It is fibrous. It is a structural protein. It is very important in most animals’ not just humans. its degradation leads to wrinkles that accompany aging. It is present in the cornea and lens of the eye.

Collagen is made up of three polypeptide strands (each helical) this is not an alpha helix as it is not tightly wound. These three polypeptides then wrap around each other to form a rope-like structure, these three strands are held together by hydrogen bonds, almost every third amino acid is glycine in these molecules this is useful because its small size allows the three strands to lie close together and form a tight coil.
A complete molecule interacts with other molecules of collagen which are parallel to it, the bonds form between the R groups of lysine in the collagen in other molecules abreast it these are formed between many adjacent collagen molecules and form fibres. Collagen is extremely strong and can withstand large forces this is due to the fact that the ends of the collagen molecules are staggered and therefore there are no weak points in the molecule. An example of collagens strength is the Achilles tendon which almost completely collagen and can stand a pulling force of 300N per mm squared.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A19990579

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more