Treehouses

2 Conversations


Treehouses are every little boys' dream den, as they speak of adventure, boldly going where no parent dares to venture.


There are two main types of treehouse, the 'Den' and the 'Palace in the sky'.

The Den


These are usually ramshackle playhouses hanging from, nailed to or resting in sturdy trees, and provide the much needed shelter to cowboys from hordes of angry Indian chiefs on horseback.

The Palace In The Sky


Palace treehouses are for grown-ups, and are naturally the more eloquent and sophistocated elder cousins of the working-class den type, and these can come with soft furnishings, electricity, handrails, maybe even running water and oh, they don't blow over in the wind.

Materials


The bulk of treehouses are made out of wood as this fits in well with a woody tree and is often in abundance- where you find wood, you find trees. Planks, pallets and boards are ideal for walls, floor and roofs which is all that is adequate for the den, and a scabby damp rugged carpet is the most a den treehouse can have before it starts bordering on Palace treehouse.
As palaces are of a superior quality (and inferior in excitement) they naturally come with ash veneered panels, sandalwood decking, metal beams and a wide range of traditional lovely wooden frame construction techniques. Aah, lovely.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A19878529

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more