Chittenango

0 Conversations

Chittenango is a quaint little country town in upstate New York. It is roughly 30 minutes from Syracuse. We have a high school, middle school, and three elementary schools, all being Chittenango Bears. Almost the entire town is on one street, or at least all the major businesses in the town. That street? Route 5. Of course, there's more to Chittenango than you might think.

Chittenango is the birthplace of L. Frank Baum. For those of you who don't know, L. Frank Baum was the author of the Wizard of Oz. And for those of you who don't know what the Wizard of Oz is, I'm not helping you. In commemoration of L. Frank Baum. Every spring Chittenango puts on OzFest. It's a three day affair, in which there are a lot of munchkins from the movie, and a large parade. It's probably the most exciting thing that Chittenango does, and hundreds of people pour into Chittenango to see it. Why? I have no idea.

Incidentally, the sidewalks in Chittenango are made out of yellow bricks. We have an actual Oz Museum, with various Oz memorabilia. We have an ice cream parlor (which serves very good ice cream) called Oz Cream. And, we have an annual road run called, you guessed it, the Yellow Brick Road Run. As you can tell, if not for the Wizard of Oz, Chittenango would be a very boring place. So, if you ever want to see more Oz stuff than you can handle, come to Chittenango, NY.

True, Chittenango isn't all about Oz. We have several successful farms. Seriously, though, Chittenango is a wonderful little town, with an excellent schooling system. Not only that, they have one of the best cross country teams in the state, and an excellent soccer program (or at least have in past years). So, come to Chittenango, and tell 'em Josh Phelan sent you. They'll have no idea who you're talking about, most likely.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A188930

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more