Flight check-in: Overwieght luggage?!!!!!!!!?

0 Conversations

The most irritating part of air travel is that point at check-in when you're told your baggage is overwieght by a kilo or two and you have to pay a $50 fee..... well excuse me! I wiegh about 140lbs, my luggage, now overwieght tips the scales at 50lbs...total, 190lbs. Here's the irritating part. There's a gentleman over there who weighs at least 300lbs and his luggage is just under the allowable. Why am I being punished for totalling less than 200lbs and yet people of large wieght are'nt affected by any restriction related to wieght? I have nothing against overwieght people.. but this is a form of discrimination against people of light weight. When I travel by air it's usually for a long holiday, not a "quicky" flight, therefore I do pack a bit more yet, my total wieght is less than half of anotheres and I'm penalized? In this age of political correctness the airlines don't ask a persons wieght, too personal (but cc #'s and other personal info is okay..?) and may offend someone.
Being PC is onething, to be PC and cast discrimination in another direction is wrong. Alternatives may be for the airlines to create a sliding scale of luggage allowance.. for example.. a passanger wieghs x-pounds, then the luggage wt allowance is y. This could very well retain the 50lb limit on most wieghts, but it would be fairer to all. In this way I wouldn't feel as if I'm paying an extra fee to allow overwieght peope to fly at cost.
Again, I have nothing against overwieght people, this is not a comment about personal size but rather about inconsistant airline policy and the need to be politically correct when pc diverts, instead of eliminates, discriminatory practices.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A17658589

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more