A Conversation for Unfinished Business of the Century

Are you listening, Bill?

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

How about we make a huge effort to clear up all the bugs in the Microsoft family of Operating Systems...!

I have never forgiven Bill Gates for Microsoft BASIC back in the '80s - he took the original Kemeny and Kurtz implementation, and left out all the bits he didn't understand. This meant that a whole generation of programmers were deprived of BASIC's most powerful feature - the MAT instructions (Matrix manipulation). I therefore blame Bill Gates personally for setting the cause of 3D graphics back by ten years.

The worst feature in Microsoft OS's - the infamous "640K base memory" fiasco - wasn't actually their fault. When IBM was specifying their new PC using the 8088, the engineers said it could address a full one Megabyte of memory. The marketing department came back and said that numbers like "one Megabyte" would be meaningless to consumers, and that they wanted the system to have a fixed limit at 640KB, so they could use the advertising tagline "Ten times the memory of your current system". (CP/M machines of the time were generally limited to 64KB of RAM, without exotic addressing schemes) - There was absolutely no technical reason behind having a "special" area of base memory, outside that marketing line, yet it crippled memory management schemes for over fifteen years...


Are you listening, Bill?

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hmmm. Interesting parser you have... For example, it turned "Falls over in fits of laughter" into "FALLS laughter over of fits in"... I didn't realise Yoda coded for TDV!

I'm sorry I used the triangular braces, but they previewed fine...


Are you listening, Bill?

Post 3

Dr What

have u died?


Are you listening, Bill?

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Depends on the definition of "u", with particular reference to reincarnation...


Key: Complain about this post