Default values

1 Conversation

Anyone who has ever used a computer is aware of the Defaults. Default values are probably the right ones, or, at least, the values the guy next to you would choose. If you choose not to choose any values, the default values will be used (and probably used against you at a later time by the support guy).

This also applies to other things in life. The first thing I can think of is ice cream. What is the default value of ice cream?

Whenever you by anything claiming to consist partly or completely of "ice cream" the ice cream in particular is vanilla flavoured. This is also the ice cream that usually goes with other garnish, say, in a dessert. Unless otherwise specified, the ice cream most probably is vanilla flavoured.

Hence the default value of ice cream is vanilla. Now, you might think that other flavours of ice cream are being made by adding flavour to the vanilla ice cream. Well, this is not the case. When buying a chocholate flavoured ice cream, the flavour is added to the "raw" or real ice cream, which neither I nor you have ever tasted. This is probably because real ice cream tastes really bad, and wouldn't sell at all.






Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A167122

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more