Shoegazing

0 Conversations

Shoegazing is dancing for non-joiners.
It started in the heady days of what was, for want of a better expression, described as "indie-dance-crossover" shortly before the invention of the "Baggy" scene, and reached its peak probably three weeks later. Since then it has been reviled by all, including most of the musical artistes who were associated with it. The shoegazing bands were singled out as pretentious, middle-class, art-school, etc. etc., and most of them heavily re-invented themselves.
Some of these, and I make no apology for this, were: Blur, Curve, Slowdive, Chapterhouse, Pale Saints, Catherine Wheel, Paris Angels, If, Sunsonic and The Jennifers.
The key to shoegazing music is a loose feel with a jangly guitar quality. It is slightly downbeat - without being depressing - dreamy, relaxed, ethereal, godlike, swimmy...
To shoegaze properly, you need to attend a popular concert, or 'gig', and, in the bit before the support act go on stage, and the DJ is playing some quiet tunes of his own liking (you can tell because, and this is key, the dancefloor is empty), walk out into the middle of the floor, place your hands behind your back, look at your feet, and move around in a gentle swaying motion. For a bit of a change, in a particularly uplifting musical moment, you can close your eyes and swing your arms around a bit. But just a bit.
Do not do this on a full dance floor. You will be beaten up.
Since the demise of shoegazing, Blur have become the kings of "Britpop", the Jennifers became Supergrass - the princes of Britpop, Catherine Wheel have become a latter-day Pink Floyd, and Curve have experimented with the darker side of dance.
But despite the denials and prejudices, shoegazing has been allowed to live on, with fewer guitars, in the guise of Trip-Hop. You can shoegaze to trip-hop, and this is a joy to behold.
For people who find shoegazers irritatingly self-absorbed and pretentious (what shoegazers themselves call "introspective"), there is a form of release, and this may also be of benefit to the shoegazers themselves, for it is widely held that they are in need of help. Simply make a request of the DJ to play "Firestarter" by The Prodigy (or similar), approach the shoegazer with a group like-minded mates and shout "GET A LIFE!" before moshing said Gazer to a mush.
It's quick, humane and you will be thanked.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A153299

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more