Devil Sticks

1 Conversation

A piece of oriental Juggling equipment consisting of two handsticks and a larger Devil-Stick. The fun comes in the form of keeping the Devil-Stick airbourne using a tick-tock motion with the handsticks whilst performing tricks such as propeller and helicopter spins.

It is probably best to begin learning with a Flower-Stick: a Devil-Stick with extra weighting at each end for balance and usually rubber grip on the stick itself. Begin with one end of the stick on the ground and push it from left to right. Don't hit it across to each side - instead try to catch it before pushing it back again with the handstick. Once you have found a good rhythm, it is easy to lift the stick and continue the motion in the air to the delight and admiration of your friends. It is worth reminding readers that this initial learning stage should never be attempted indoors in the proximity of valuable vases. Once a few tricks have been learnt, progress to a proper Devil-Stick with its intimidating lack of grip (this can be compensated slightly by having silicon coated handsticks as opposed to rubber ones). It may be harder, but if you can make this baby dance, you can start passing round a hat as you bask in the glory of your achievement.

Once this has been mastered, why not invest in a set that you can set fire to? And after that, run away to the circus!

Note: The Devil-Sticks are best enjoyed whilst chilling on the beach on a summer afternoon.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A140158

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more