Sand And Foam--Kahlil Gibran

1 Conversation

I am forever walking upon these shores, Betwixt the sand and the foam. The high tide will rase my foot-print, And the wind will blow away the foam. But the sea and the shore will remain forever.
Remembrance is a form of meeting.
Forgetfulness is a form of freedom.
One may not reach the dawn save by the path of the night.
The real in us is silent; the acquired is talkative.
Only the dumb envy the talkative.
The silence of the envious is too noisy.
Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.
It is wiser for the lame not to break his crutches upon the head of his enemy.
How blind is he who gives you out of his pocket that he may take out of your heart.
If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.
Love and doubt have never been on speaking terms.
Said a philosopher to a street sweeper, "I pity you. Yours is a hard and dirty task." And the street sweeper said, "Thank you, sir. But tell me what is your task?" And the philosopher answered saying, "I study man's mind, his deeds and his desires." Then the street sweeper went on with his sweeping and said with a smile, "I pity you too."
If you do not understand your friend under all conditions you will never understand him.
Your mind and my heart will never agree until your mind ceases to live in numbers and my heart in the mist.
Those who give you a serpent when you ask for a fish, may have nothing but serpents to give. It is then generosity on their part.
Generosity is not in giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is in giving me that which you need more than I do.
The most talkative is the least intelligent, and there is hardly a difference between an orator and an auctioneer.
You may forget the one with whom you have laughed, but never the one with whom you have wept.
Pearl is a temple built by pain around a grain of sand. What longing built our bodies and around what grains?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A13591055

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more