James Madison speaks, the burning of the white house.

0 Conversations

You Americans had very little entries on the subject of the burning of your own capital, so I thought i would set a few things straight. On the afternoon of Augest 24th, mearly hours after the defeat at Bladensburg I recived word that the British were on the move, not only to capture the city, but ti destroy it. I decided to remove myself from the capital. I saw the people leaving, my staff was gone, I rode out into the country thinking my wife was safe. By now, the British had stormed into the grate captial, and burned the house that had been my home. I watched the fires from Virginia. After many long hours wandering through the countryside I found my wife's carrige at a rodeside tavern. When we returned to the city with my wife, we saw the burned rubble that was once my home. I knew then that we would never live their again.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A12606554

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more