THE MUMMY - Film Review

0 Conversations

The Mummy
Wielding two revolvers, dodging traps, adventuring though ancient Egyptian temples, fighting enemies; from possessed-human-car-lemmings to deadly black scarabs which really get under your skin, and dark brown hair that still looks good at the end! No, for without breasts and a butt that wiggles like the jowls of a demented hamster, Lara Croft this ain't. Its The Mummy.
This latest summer release written and directed by Stephen Sommers, has revived the old Egyptian Myth genre, full of its tombs and traps best shown in the Indy Jones films. Starring Brendon Fraser as the gritty American hero (Rick), Rachel Weisz as the Egyptologist and his virgin love interest (Evelyn), and John Hannah as the stupid bumbling Englishman (Jonathan). These characters go as well together as the script allows, which is not good. For the script is bad. All the acting is pretty bad, and the Bumbling English is over done and gets annoying.
After a short "Previously in Egypt" scene we are brought into the 1920's the story sees Rick discovering the Hidden City Of Hamunaptra showing two English archaeologists how to get there before the "Yanks" and then reading the BOOK OF THE DEAD!!!! This brings the Mummy back to life and thus goes around looking for parts of his body and any he can't find he takes from others whilst releasing flies from his mouth and trying to bring his dead bird back to life!
The opening history is a nice touch and suites the film. By setting their own past events before hand, they can create whatever mythical Egyptian fantasy they wish, without those taking courses in the subject getting offended. Its confusion between a form of Shocker/Comedy however is not clearly defined and disrupts the flow of the film in places, e.g. the library scene must have been done in a Carry On film before, and you may even feel relieved for whenever the Book Of The Dead or curse is mentioned, there is a sudden howl of wind in the dead desert air and the camp fire burns brighter, though after the number of times this occurs, Fraser comments, "That happens a lot round here.".
The special effects are excellent, especially the mummy and the sand storm scene and they go over the top as the film goes on. The action comes hard and fast, with well paced "fill" scenes and however bad the script is, the Direction is quite good, even with slight Hitchcock influences, e.g. a very powerful death, when one of the good guys has his life drained by the Mummy is seen entirely as his shadow on the wall. The effect is great and, infact, all of the death scenes are excellent each evoking new intrigue and disgust as they take place on screen, yet blood is never shown.
A real no brainer, this film is perfect to sit down with a load of mates and just enjoy. Those of us into ancient Egypt will love the recreation scene at the start of the film. Its good fun with great effects and music. And will easily fill the spare 1 hour 15 min's of your life. If your looking for another Indy Jones film, sadly this is in no way a substitute, but might tie you over till Search For Atlantis.
SEE ALSO: Any Indiana Jones film or game, Young Sherlock Holmes, Tomb Raider.

RATING:****

JodaCast


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A125704

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more