Yorkshire Pudding

1 Conversation

An item of food from northern England similar in appearance and consistency to a cowpat.

Made from flour, milk and eggs it was originally used as a first course filler for poor people who could not afford much meat but is now almost always served with a roast beef main course to form part of a 'traditional English dinner'.


In its home county it is often served on its own filled with onion gravy so that it acts as a form of edible soup bowl. This practice probably originated with people who could not afford crockery either.


It has become very popular with tourists in search of traditional English fayre and ranks along with fish and chips as an internationally known item of English cuisine. In fact many foreigners believe the English national dish is 'Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding' but as we all know it is really Curry.


Generally speaking Yorkshire Pudding is best avoided by true food lovers.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A118919

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more