How to Take Reading Notes

0 Conversations

Remembering what you read will help you in your schoolwork, and knowing how to take good reading notes will help you remember what you read.

Make sure you give yourself enough time to take notes. The time you spend on notes will pay off with less review time and it will help your memory.

Write down the date, and write full bibliographic information next to the title, author, date, including publisher, city, publication, date of publication, and volume number for journal articles.

Write your notes in outline form to give structure to the material. Break it into related sections and subsections.

Use the book (or article) structure as the structure for your notes. For example, chapters could be assigned major headings and chapter sections could be assigned subheadings.

Make note of anything that is central to the author's argument. Try to avoid writing trivial things. The important points are usually in the introductory and concluding paragraphs.

Make sure you distinguish facts and opinions, and quotations from summaries. That way you will clearly know which is which when you review your notes.

Review your notes the next day, and look over them again a few days later. This is a good way to remember the material in a time-efficient way.

If you are taking notes for a research paper, consider using index cards. Remember to list the bibliographic information on a separate, numbered card.

One way of deciding what is important is to "cheat" by reading the conclusion first so that you'll know what's relevant as soon as you run across it in the text.

Try to use abbreviations in your notes. For example, an up arrow for "increase".

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1125415

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more